SOLVED

Logo/Icon showing up in Teams, but not SharePoint

Iron Contributor

Hi There, 

I have been trying to solve this problem for a while. When I create a Team, I can upload a logo and it takes. But when I navigate to SharePoint the logo isn't there. I try to update it and I get this error:

We experienced a problem updating the icon. Please try again in a few minutes.” Or “Check to see if group property HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled is set to true, or if Address Book Policies are set on the group. Otherwise please try again later.

There is this page that describes how to fix the error ... 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/troubleshoot/sites/error-when-changing-o365-site-logo

So I know I have to run PowerShell, but I am not sure how to run this?

Set-UnifiedGroup -Identity <TeamName> -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled:$false

Then I have another question, why is this like this? What does updating a logo have to do with Exchange? Thanks!

4 Replies

Hi @Mike Dumka ,

So in PowerShell, the cmdlets you can run are based on the Modules you have installed.

So as per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/set-unifiedgroup?view=exchange-ps you will see at the top, you need to install the Exchange PowerShell module. I would look to install the V2 PowerShell Module for Exchange if you can.

Once installed and you may have to import the session for Exchange but the documentation will explain this to you:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/exchange/exchange-online-powershell-v2?view=exchange-ps

You should then be able to run the command. Another example can be found at: https://morgantechspace.com/2018/06/hide-office-365-groups-from-outlook-and-owa-powershell.html

In terms of why Exchange, it is more than likely because Teams utilises a multitude of M365 services under the hood, depending on the task at hand. So in this example I imagine that the icon will be stored in the Group Mailbox.

In the past I always gunned for setting my Profile image by way of Outlook on the Web as it seemed to be the best source of truth.

Although I would expect what you have tried to do, to be seamless, we also have to understand that Teams makes use of SharePoint but is primarily intended to be the front door to any of the M365 services it utilises. So say SharePoint for Files but it doesn't really expect many to interact with the underlying site directly. Not making excuses but just a bit of reasoning or at least that is my thought process.

Thanks

Henry

Hi @Mike Dumka ,

You basically need to have the Exchange Module installed in PowerShell to run that command.

A good reference is: https://morgantechspace.com/2018/06/hide-office-365-groups-from-outlook-and-owa-powershell.html

It is also worth nothing that you could actually achieve a similar thing by way of the SharePointPnPPowerShellOnline module and the Set-PnPUnifiedGroup cmdlet.

In terms of the why, you will probably notice that Teams utilises a multitude of M365 services under the hood, one of which being Exchange. It tends to use the service based on the job at hand, which is probably less obvious when it comes to an icon. However to cut a long story short you will probably find that the icon is stored within the underlying Group of the Teams, Group mailbox.

As an example I always found in the past that the best method to update my profile picture was to do it by way of Outlook on the Web.

Whilst I am not making excuses for Teams as I would expect what you tried to do, to work seamlessly. It is expected that Teams is the front door to many of the services that it makes use of. So say SharePoint Online for Files, it expects most of the interaction to take place directly within Teams and not directly in SharePoint. I know it gives you the tempting Open in SharePoint and it can be beneficial but that is how I logicise and cut Teams some slack when it comes to SharePoint integration. Everything like this will also I have no doubt, get better with time.

Thanks

Henry

best response confirmed by Mike Dumka (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Ok, now this may be real basic stuff for some but some I hope this helps! :)

Ok to make that command work, first you need to make sure that you have the PowerShell modules for Teams and Exchange Online installed. 

Install-Module -Name MicrosoftTeams
Install-Module -Name ExchangeOnlineManagement

Then from there you just need to run the command mentioned above ...

Set-UnifiedGroup -Identity <TeamName> -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled:$false

Now you should be able to update the SharePoint Online icon to match what you used for your Microsoft Team or Microsoft 365 Group. 

Couple of important things I learned in going through this

1. If you hide your group again (because you don't want it showing in Outlook), you don't have to unhide it to update the SharePoint Online icon every time. Once you can update it, you can update it again any time you want.
  2. The icons have to be updated in 2 places if you want a consistent design across all of your Microsoft 365 Group applications. Those locations are Microsoft Teams or Microsoft Outlook AND SharePoint Online

I hope that this information can help someone with the same issue. I have no idea why this works the way it does, but at least I know how to fix it. 

Stay safe!

@HenryPhillipsNimbitech Thanks for the great explainer post! I have much to learn when it comes to PowerShell. 

As you stated things will get better with time, it just seems like a big miss that your Teams icon get updated in every workload BUT SharePoint. I know we have been working with many groups that started just collaborating through the teams interface, but now are moving into more complex collaboration scenarios where they have to jump into their SharePoint site.

Thanks again for the great information!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Mike Dumka (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Ok, now this may be real basic stuff for some but some I hope this helps! :)

Ok to make that command work, first you need to make sure that you have the PowerShell modules for Teams and Exchange Online installed. 

Install-Module -Name MicrosoftTeams
Install-Module -Name ExchangeOnlineManagement

Then from there you just need to run the command mentioned above ...

Set-UnifiedGroup -Identity <TeamName> -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled:$false

Now you should be able to update the SharePoint Online icon to match what you used for your Microsoft Team or Microsoft 365 Group. 

Couple of important things I learned in going through this

1. If you hide your group again (because you don't want it showing in Outlook), you don't have to unhide it to update the SharePoint Online icon every time. Once you can update it, you can update it again any time you want.
  2. The icons have to be updated in 2 places if you want a consistent design across all of your Microsoft 365 Group applications. Those locations are Microsoft Teams or Microsoft Outlook AND SharePoint Online

I hope that this information can help someone with the same issue. I have no idea why this works the way it does, but at least I know how to fix it. 

Stay safe!

View solution in original post