how to create a team without sending out the default "you have been added to team..." mail message?

Copper Contributor

Hi

I am almost finished with my provisioning web-part for creating groups with teams using graph, but  the customer want the "provisioneer" to be able to refrain from sending out "you've been added" messages

I cannot seem to find if it's possible in the documentation, but then again it doesn't always have it all written down.

Do some of you know if it's possible?

thnx, O

5 Replies
Try this:

Run the powershell command with the exchange module connected:

Set-UnifiedGroup <groupname> -UnifiedGroupWelcomeMessageEnabled:$<true/false>

Then try add the members to the group via AAD or admin portal.

Keep in mind that users won’t show up immediately as members in Teams due to latency

Adam

@trillian74 

You can do that with Microsoft Graph only at creation time. Here is a sample

Url: https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/groups

Request Body:

--

{
    "displayName": "TestGroup-01",
    "groupTypes": [
        "Unified"
    ],
    "mailEnabled": true,
    "mailNickname": "testgroup-01",
    "resourceBehaviorOptions": [
        "WelcomeEmailDisabled"
    ],
    "securityEnabled": false,
    "visibility": "Private",
}

yes, but that doesn't stop the added to teams mail from being sent out. (?) . It stops the office groups mail from being sent. When i create the team right thereafter they receive a "You've been added to a team in Microsoft Teams" mail. This is the mail i want to switch off  @Gousia_Begum  has the same effect as doing it in powershell.

@trillian74 How are you adding the team member after creating the team with WelcomeEMailDisabled: True? Are you adding the user using Graph API or from the Teams UI?

Hi @trillian74 

Did you manage to disable the welcome mail?

It seems I struggle with exactly the same request and already checked the 

WelcomeMessageEnabled is set to False for my Team/group but still I receive the welcome mail.