How to create a message Extension that does not require any additional parameters, no pop ups

Copper Contributor

I want to make a message extension that simply sends the message text to the Message Handler endpoint configured in the associated bot.  I would like to avoid showing the user additional popups as they provide no value in my use case.

The "App Studio" and the schema requires some additional parameter to be present 

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 10.47.53 AM.png

Is there not a way to simply have the user click on the message extension and that be the totality of the user interaction required?

6 Replies
Click on the menu icon (three stacked dots) on the top-right of the Chrome screen.
Click “Settings”.
Scroll to the bottom and click “Advanced”.
In the Privacy and Security section, scroll down and click “Content Settings”.
Click “Notifications”.

@Lewis-H.  Thanks for the reply but I think you are misreading my question. The popup is part of the teams flow right now, and I believe mandatory. 

Even if changing this setting in Chrome prevented the popup it would break the teams logic flow as far as I can tell. Also I wouldn't be able to force every customer who downloads the app to enable this. In addition, I assume most users would be on Mobile or use the Teams dedicated app. 

@adamhouck A Message Extension can have two types of commands. Search-based and action- based. A search based command will let you search through a list and send the messages inside the compose box. An action based command opens up a popup that will take some action from the Message-Extension. If you do not want to have the pop-up experience you could use only search based commands.

I was able to get the desired functionality by having the following in my manifest.json file

"composeExtensions": [
    {
        "botId": "--Bot Id Here--",
        "canUpdateConfiguration": true,
        "commands": [
            {
                "id": "commandId",
                "type": "action",
                "title": "Command Title",
                "description": "",
                "initialRun": true,
                "fetchTask": false,
                "context": [
                    "message"
                ]
            }
        ]
    }
],

@adamhouckHi, i have created action based messaging extension in the same way as your post, it is working fine when i use the extension in group-chat/channel/team, but for one to one chat i'm getting both the popup and the submit response [which is the card pasted on message text area]. Could you please help me regarding this issue?

@abhisheksrivastava 

yes, I am also facing same problem. Works fine in team/channel chat but not working in personal chat.