SOLVED

Guest access to personal apps/tabs

Brass Contributor

As an administrator I can install and pin default personal tabs for all users in my tenant.
I hoped I could pin a custom personal app for guests as well, but these dont show up.
So I searched for some information whether this is possible or not. It's clear that guests can not add and install apps on their own, but I found no clear information if  it is possible for the admin to add apps for the guests.

I found this comparison of tenant members and guests in Teams, but it only mentions that Guests can't add tabs on their own, but nothing about using apps someone else has added.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/guest-experience#comparison-of-team-member-and-guest...
Then I found was this site in the docs, but I just don't understand what it's trying to say. So I hope someone could clarify this and explain to me in simple words what is possible and what not regarding custom apps for guest users.
Teams apps behavior for non-standard users - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs
There it says:

Guests can't install, update, or delete apps into a shared context, such as a chat, channel, or meeting, but they can to their personal scope using message extensions and direct links.

---So what does "their personal scope" mean and what kind of direct links? Links to what?

Guests don't have access to the Teams app store from the Teams desktop application, ...

---If the docs explicitly mentions "don't have access...from the Teams desktop application" then shouldnt it be different in the webapp or on mobile? 
...but they can access it with a direct link.

---and again: What direct link? And what can they actually do with the link?

And last but not least, my general question:
What kind of apps can be made accessible to and used with guest users in Teams?

8 Replies

@ArneDD : We are looking into this issue, we will get back to you soon

Thanks

Are there any updates?
I'm actually kind of surprised that there seems to be no one in the MS community able to answer that question. This seems so basic to me.
Hello @ArneDD,
I am looking internally. I need to confirm if there is some backlog item present for it. I will be back with all your answers soon.
Thanks for understanding.
best response confirmed by ArneDD (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@ArneDD - Hello,
After trying few scenario with the Guest user, I didn't find any way for admin to pin an app for Guest user. I have also tried assigning access policy via Teams admin center to Guest but it didn't worked. So, we can say as of now we cannot add or pin apps for guest users.

Before answering your other questions, first you need to make sure that you have switched the organization from guest user account. Guest user cannot access app direct link within their tenant.

You will find option to switch organization here:

HunaidHanfeeMSFT_3-1630591609140.png

Guests can't install, update, or delete apps into a shared context, such as a chat, channel, or meeting, but they can to their personal scope using message extensions and direct links.

---So what does "their personal scope" mean and what kind of direct links? Links to what?

- Personal scope means here is 1:1 chat. User can add app if he have direct link of the app.
Now about direct link: The direct link of app is the link that you copy from the Apps store.
Steps to get direct link:
1. Click and open Apps.

HunaidHanfeeMSFT_0-1630590856815.png

2. Navigate or Search for the app you want direct link.

3. Once you found it, click on the ... and select Copy link

HunaidHanfeeMSFT_1-1630590997461.png

You can share this link with guest users and they will be able to install that app in personal scope.

Guests don't have access to the Teams app store from the Teams desktop application, ...

---If the docs explicitly mentions "don't have access...from the Teams desktop application" then shouldnt it be different in the webapp or on mobile? 

Guest user doesn't have access to Teams app store on Teams desktop as well as web client. When guest user access the direct link of the app they will get to see this screen, which allows them to install or open the app.

HunaidHanfeeMSFT_2-1630591254131.png

I will update you if I get to know about any backlog item related to pinning 3P apps.

Thanks, 

Hunaid Hanfee 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the response is helpful, please click "**Mark as Best Response**" and like it. You can share your feedback via Microsoft Teams Developer Feedback link. Click here to escalate

@Hunaid, thank you really much for your effort and the detailed answer.
I still wonder why there is so few and unclear information about that to find in the web and no discussions on any boards. Pinned apps for guest access would offer great possibilities.
So for now pinning an app for a user works like, sending them the link in a private chat and ask them to save the message with the link. When they then go and enter /saved in the searchbar they can see their "pinned" apps. Kind of silly. But I hope for the future to bring pinned apps for guest users. Would be great.
Thanks again for your help, I really appriciate it.

Hi, since you've been exploring the issue I'd like to ask a follow-up question, in case you know the answer:
¿Is it possible for a Guest User to add their own personalised app to Teams? Normally this is done through the app catalog, so clearly not that way, but I was wondering if this was "hardcoded" or if there was a workaround.

@SanChamp - Have a look at this Guest experience in Microsoft Teams document, here you will find what is possible and what is not. You will get the good idea of Guest experience. 

It is not possible for Guest user to add personalized app.

Thank you!
Just in case someone else tries this, I tried a workaround:
- Sending the App Studio URL to the guest user
- Importing the app that you want to install in Teams in the Manifest Editor
- Installing it from the "Test and distribute" section.
But it did NOT work :grinning_face_with_sweat:.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ArneDD (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@ArneDD - Hello,
After trying few scenario with the Guest user, I didn't find any way for admin to pin an app for Guest user. I have also tried assigning access policy via Teams admin center to Guest but it didn't worked. So, we can say as of now we cannot add or pin apps for guest users.

Before answering your other questions, first you need to make sure that you have switched the organization from guest user account. Guest user cannot access app direct link within their tenant.

You will find option to switch organization here:

HunaidHanfeeMSFT_3-1630591609140.png

- Personal scope means here is 1:1 chat. User can add app if he have direct link of the app.
Now about direct link: The direct link of app is the link that you copy from the Apps store.
Steps to get direct link:
1. Click and open Apps.

HunaidHanfeeMSFT_0-1630590856815.png

2. Navigate or Search for the app you want direct link.

3. Once you found it, click on the ... and select Copy link

HunaidHanfeeMSFT_1-1630590997461.png

You can share this link with guest users and they will be able to install that app in personal scope.

Guest user doesn't have access to Teams app store on Teams desktop as well as web client. When guest user access the direct link of the app they will get to see this screen, which allows them to install or open the app.

HunaidHanfeeMSFT_2-1630591254131.png

I will update you if I get to know about any backlog item related to pinning 3P apps.

Thanks, 

Hunaid Hanfee 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the response is helpful, please click "**Mark as Best Response**" and like it. You can share your feedback via Microsoft Teams Developer Feedback link. Click here to escalate

View solution in original post