SOLVED

Error updating Teams App - ID in manifest doesn't match installed

Copper Contributor

I have created a 'Hello World' Teams app following the getting started guide. This seemed to work as expected and I was able to add the application to my app catalog in the Teams client. 

However, I am having problems updating the application without deleting and re-adding it. 

For example:

1. Go to Teams App Studio -> Manifest Editor
  2. Select the Hello World app
  3. Change only the version number (e.g. 1.0.0 to 1.0.1)
  4. Go to Test and Distribute and download the package. 
  5. Go to Apps and click the '...' button next to the installed Hello World 1.0.0 application. 
  6. Select Update and choose the package zip downloaded in step 4.

At this point, I get an error: The id in the manifest doesn't match with the app being updated.

Comparing the manifest.json file between the 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 app, the only thing that is different is the "version" field. Everything else, especially the "id" value is identical. I get the same problem when I manually alter the application version in the manifest.json and attempt to update the app.

Why am I not able to update an installed application? Am I missing something and these steps are just not valid?

3 Replies
best response confirmed by hileyj (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi @hileyj

See here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/upload-custom-apps

Try this

You can update the app on the Manage apps page in the Microsoft Teams admin center. To do this, in the left navigation of the Microsoft Teams admin center, go to Teams apps > Manage apps. Click the app name, and then click Update. Doing this replaces the existing app, and all app permission policies and app setup policies remain enforced for the updated app.

Try doing it via the admin centre. Let me know how it goes

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard Thanks for the reply. I should have responded earlier, but the steps from the original description now work! That is, I am now able to update custom Teams applications via the Teams client from 'Apps -> {Custom App} -> Update'.  As far as I know, no administrative changes were made to my Microsoft account or my Teams organization configuration. Maybe there was a Teams client update that resolved this issue for me?

One weird UI thing: after updating a custom app, all of my custom app cards in the Teams client 'Apps -> Built For {my org}' disappear temporarily. Including the app that was updated. Navigating to a different Teams tab (e.g. Chat or Calendar) then back to Apps cause them to show up again, with the update(s) applied.

Anyway this now works, so I am not taking any further action.

Great, thanks for feeding back. Appreciated. If you ever get this again, and it doesn't for whatever reason, the above should work for you and you now have a back up.

Have a great day. Best, Chris
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by hileyj (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi @hileyj

See here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/upload-custom-apps

Try this

You can update the app on the Manage apps page in the Microsoft Teams admin center. To do this, in the left navigation of the Microsoft Teams admin center, go to Teams apps > Manage apps. Click the app name, and then click Update. Doing this replaces the existing app, and all app permission policies and app setup policies remain enforced for the updated app.

Try doing it via the admin centre. Let me know how it goes

Best, Chris

View solution in original post