Custom File Handlers in MS Team

Copper Contributor

Hello!, 

We have been able to get custom file handlers registered and working for HTML files in SharePoint Online and OneDrive. But this capability seems to be missing in MS teams. 

I would like to achieve the same capability in MS teams where a user clicks on an HTML file and the file open in our custom editor. Haven't found a way to do that yet

5 Replies

@wumpus I agree. This is a must have feature. It just breaks the complete M365 offering of microsoft. Supporting one feature in Sharepoint and not in Teams, breaks the vendor created apps for custom file format.

@wumpus - Teams does not support custom file handles. Could you please raise a user voice here?

Hi Nikita, Thanks. I can see that being already one entry in the MS User Voice here : - https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/40574185-support-for-file-hand...

Do you have a tentative timeline for this missing capability in MS Teams?

Are there any alternatives/workarounds that you suggest, in the absence of Custom File Handlers in MS Teams?

--Wumpus

@wumpus - We Don't have any ETA to share when it will be available.

@Nikitha-MSFT: Is there an update on this? We are seeing unexpected behavior where it is working for a certain user in the tenant but not working for other users. Is it something that is rolling out?