Using a working WSUS for a new SCCM deployment

Copper Contributor

Good morning,

I am in the process of evaluating System Center 2019, and I am struggling finding some information on the way I would have to try to deploy this in our current production environment. Maybe somebody can guide me.

I have a WSUS server already working, and all my workstations and servers are using it to pull updates from it.

I know that System Center uses WSUS and that it can handle not only updates, but also push software packages. The question is, how can I integrate both of them, without creating any disruption to updates.

My idea was originally that I would install SCCM and I would be able to point that to my active WSUS. So new machines that I can deploy and add to SCCM, I would configure to use SCCM for everything, while keeping the rest on normal WSUS updates. Once I am ready to start deploying the SCCM client, then I can slowly move the workstations to now check in with SCCM and get updates from SCCM via the external WSUS.

However, there is very little information out there in this specific scenario. How can I connect a brand new SCCM deployment to the active WSUS without disturbing all machines? Or is there a way to deploy a new WSUS on the SCCM server, and somehow connect those two together?

Thanks

1 Reply

Hi @MaxV5,

If you want to deploy Windows Updates via SCCM, you will have to add a server role which name is Software Update Point on SCCM. 

Software Update Point has three different option for Synchronization Source. The link for more information is below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/configmgr/sum/get-started/install-a-software-update-point

If you want to deploy all Windows Updates via SCCM, you can check my article for that. The article is in my native language (Turkish). But you can choose a language from the right menu.

https://hasanemresatilmis.com/2016/01/13/sccm-de-yazilim-guncelleme-dagitimi-software-update-deploym...