SCCM Software Updates not installing to endpoints

Brass Contributor

Hi!

I have a new built SCCM(MP,DP,SUP)(forestA), I have a remote DP on the other forest(forestB). I am currently testing software update deployment on my setup and upon checking to my testing client computer, the computer won't update. I have created sample windows 10 update and deploy that to my testing collection. WUAhandler.log has no error but in the Updatedeployment.log error is GetUpdateInfo: Failed to get targeted update error = 0x87d00215. 

i have seen this link https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f660d3c6-72a6-4ad6-80e3-2b6a5583341a/clients-not-r....

for the error code receive but i can succesfully distribute the content in the remote distribution point in the other forest.

What might cause the error?

22 Replies

@Michiel Overweel 

No, that's correct. But in this case, the information was that the user had installed a site server with DP, SUP, MP and a remote DP. And as you say, the distribution points (Site server with DP role and remote DP) need IIS installed. So my answer was not wrong here, was it?

This is a example log on the SCCM server with "Failed to create virtual directory on the defined share or volume on distribution point": 

Failed to create virtual directory on the defined share or volume on distribution point "["Display=\\<DISTRIBUTIONPOINT.DOMAIN>\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=XYZ"]\\<DISTRIBUTIONPOINT.DOMAIN>\".

Possible cause: Distribution Manager requires that IIS base components be installed on the local Configuration Manager Site Server in order to create the virtual directory. Distribution Manager also requires that IIS Web Services be installed on the Distribution Point Server that needs to support Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS).
Solution: Verify that IIS base components are installed on the local Configuration Manager Site Server, and IIS Web Services are installed on the Distribution Point Server.

@Michiel Overweel Is it wrong information Microsoft provides as a possible cause and solution in the status messages and logs on SCCM?

@alexandertuvstrom I must have misunderstood your comments, so I apologize for that. I was under the impression that you were saying that IIS needs to be installed on the site server so it can create the virtual directories on a remote Distribution point. If the Distribution Point role is installed on the site server itself, then obviously IIS needs to be installed on the site server itself as well.

As for the wording for the possible cause in the log (and in the status message as well): this doesn't seem right. I never really pay attention to those possible cause descriptions, so I had never noticed this before, but IIS definitely doesn't need to be installed on the site server, unless it is hosting a site system role that requires IIS, as discussed before.

Hi how come u know that those clients no more need that patches ???
Bez I am facing same issue and my devices are in unknown status
All looks good but they r not taking policy related to that patches ...I need ur help