SCCM/MECM Stuck at "SQL Server service running account" prereq check

Copper Contributor

The issue:
I'm not getting through the Prerequisite checks for MECM. The biggest struggle is the SQL check stating:

SQL Server service running account
"The logon account for the SQL Server service cannot be a local user account, NT SERVICE\<sql service name> or LOCAL SERVICE. You must configure the SQL Server service to use a valid domain account, NETWORK SERVICE, or LOCAL SYSTEM."

Below a screenshot:
2020-06-10 09_02_49-Window.jpg

The Configuration:
This is a brand new CM setup (there was no CM in the past), so I've chosen to Install the primary site as a stand-alone site.
All CM Roles on a single server named CM01
Database is a Named instance in our SQL server failover cluster (running with separate Domain accounts for the DBE and SSA)

My Toughts:
It seems that de CM Setup wizard is trying to perform it's prereq checks assuming that SQL is locally installed, and therefore it fails on this prereq check.

What I've already tried/checked:
- Of course I've searched the web for solution, and as stated above this has nothing to do with the SQL server instance running with local or system credentials
- Double checked if SQL is running with a Static port, and made sure SQL has the right collation
- No ports are blocking by Windows Firewall (on CM01 and the SQL server)
- No ports are blocked by our network firewall (Checkpoint)
- Made sure port TCP:1433, 4022, 1434 and UDP:1434 are open and reachable between CM01 and SQL and vice versa.

I know that it's recommended to run the SQL DB on the CM server itself for performance reasons, but in this particular case it's needed to have it installed on the SQL Server Failover cluster (a company compliancy thing)

What could be the cause of this issue? I'm really stuck on this one.

2 Replies

@mhvanderhoek There really is no formal recommendation to host the site database on the site server itself, and neither does ConfigMgr assume it's always there. In this case, it would seem that there's something wrong with the site database server configuration for your site. First thing I would do is check the C:\ConfigMgrPrereq.log file on the site server, as this will probably contain a lot more detailed information about the reasons these checks are failing.

Hi Michiel,

Thanks for your response i'll have a look at the logs.