SOLVED

Hardware Inventory after staging not immediately triggered

Copper Contributor

Dear Community

I am struggling with SCCM Agent 'Hardware Inventory' not (immediately) running after a client is staged.

When reading through the docs and forum a lot of information is spread that this is/should be triggered immediately after a client is successfully staged/deployed.

I looked at the local logs (InventoryAgent.log) on multiple clients and i see that Hardware Inventory is often not happening for hours.

As most collections are based on queries and not direct assignments you will have to wait for Compliance Settings, Apps and so on until the Hardware Inventory finally happens.

Triggering it by hand works but that is not a solution.

Has anyone an exact explanation how this works or should work or how i can troubleshoot and fix this behaviour?

Many thanks

Simon

2 Replies
best response confirmed by psymon365 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@psymon365 The Hardware Inventory schedule is subject to a Maximum random delay, which can be configured in the client settings. The default maximum delay is 240 minutes (4 hours). You could try setting this to 0 (zero). See About client settings in Configuration Manager: Hardware Inventory for details.

@Michiel Overweel So if I understand correctly, once a client is setup it will take that random amount of time until the first inventory run is triggered.

From there on it is based on the schedule + random delay.

Having a single-site design with about 250 clients, it would probably not overwhelm the server setting it to '0'. For now I try to go with '30' and if that still isn't fast enough for the guys staging the devices and I can try with '0'.

Thanks by the way for the link, I was looking for that but I just couldn't find it.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by psymon365 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@psymon365 The Hardware Inventory schedule is subject to a Maximum random delay, which can be configured in the client settings. The default maximum delay is 240 minutes (4 hours). You could try setting this to 0 (zero). See About client settings in Configuration Manager: Hardware Inventory for details.

View solution in original post