With tape library sharing enabled on a System Center Data Protection Manager 2007 server, you may find that you're unable to generate the "Tape Management" and "Tape Utilization" reports even though the other reports seem to generate just fine. When generating the tape-based reports fail, the following error message is displayed in the Internet Explorer window:
The operation has timed out. The report server has canceled the operation. (rsReportTimeoutExpired)
An unexpected error occurred in Report Processing. (rsInternalError)
Thread was being aborted.
The reports themselves are incorrectly configured in the report builder.
To resolve this you will need to follow the steps below exactly:
1. Launch the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager MMC.
2. Expand the "Sites" node and expand the "Default Web Site" and click on to select the "Reports$MS$DPM2007$" node.
3. On the right hand side under the actions pane select "Browse *:80 (HTTP)"
4. Once Report Manager opens in the IE window click on "DPMReports" which will bring up the list of all of the DPM reports.
5. On the right-hand side of the IE window click on the "Show Details" option.
6. In the report list click on the "DPMReporterDataSource" object. Here you will then copy and paste the connection string information into notepad which in the majority of cases will resemble the following unless they've renamed the DPM instance:
data source="myDpmServerName\MS$DPM2007$";persist security info=false;initial catalog=DPMDB
7. Click on the back arrow in the IE browser or at the top left corner click on "DPMReports" to bring up the list of reports once again.
8. Next under the Edit column on the left side of the page click on the small icon which has hand pointing to a small window next to the "MediaDetails" report itself.
9. Once the "MediaDetails" report properties open click on the "Data Sources" link on the left-hand side of the window.
10. Here set the bullet next to "A Custom data source" and leave the "Connection type:" as Microsoft SQL Server but then under the "Connection string:" field paste in the connection string information that you gathered in step # 6 above.
11. In addition while in the report properties and in the lower pane under the "Connect Using:" option put the bullet next to "Credentials stored securely in the report server" and enter the user name and password of the domain account which was used for the SQL Server and SQL Server Agent services when tape library sharing was enabled and then click on the "Apply" button at the bottom of the screen. NOTE - if the customer doesn't remember the account simply go into services or SQL Server configuration manager to verify the account name.
12. At the top of the screen click on the "DPMReports" link to go back again to the list of all of the DPM reports.
13. Next, under the Edit column on the left side of the page click on the small icon which has a picture of a hand pointing to a small window next to the "TapeUtilization" report and click on the "Data Sources" link on the left-hand side of the window.
14. Repeat steps 10 and 11 from above being sure to apply the changes by clicking on the "Apply" button at the bottom of the screen.
Once you have followed the steps above correctly the reports should now generate without any issues.
Hope this helps,
Tyler Franke | Senior DPM Support Escalation Engineer