Here’s a new Knowledge Base article we published. This one talks about troubleshooting an issue where adding a SAN storage provider in VMM 2012 fails with SMI-S Error 26100.
When attempting to discover a SAN storage provider in System Center 2012 Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) using the Add Storage Devices Wizard, the action fails with Error 26100:
Unable to contact storage service on %ComputerName;.
Ensure that the storage service is properly installed and running.
The Microsoft Storage Management Service is not installed properly on the VMM server or is corrupted. The result is that the service is not running and it is not possible to manually start it.
To resolve this issue, uninstall the Microsoft Storage Management service on the VMM server and then reinstall it again. To do this, follow the steps below:
1. Close all VMM consoles.
2. On the Virtual Machine Manager server, stop the System Center Virtual Machine Manager service and the System Center Virtual Machine Manager Agent service.
3. Uninstall the Microsoft Storage Management service by running the StorageService.msi from the System Center 2012 Virtual Machine Manager installation media (\amd64\setup\msi\SCXStorage) and choosing the Remove option.
4. Open an elevated command prompt (Run as administrator).
5. In the opened command prompt, change the directory to the VMM installation media. For example:
6. In the opened command prompt, type and run the following command: