Surface pro4 burn spots.

Copper Contributor

I have my Surface Pro 4 (512 i7, SSD, 16GB, 1800 euro ex vat.) for 2 years and 8 months. 

A month ago I got two burning marks, left and right in the screen. Now, there is another one at the bottom.

I contacted Microsoft in Amsterdam, and although they were very friendly and helpful, they could not put this under extended warranty. 

(I also have an Asus laptop, 7 years old, never off, half the price, and no screen issue at all)

The only offer Microsoft could make is to replace my SP4 for a refurbished one, for 450 Euro, with 3 months warranty. This means in principle this could start again in a few month, if that machine was refurbished for another reason than the screen. Although it was mentioned that only 1% of the machines have this issue (of course mine), I have read several cases of this problem, which gets worse very fast.

I think a machine of this caliber and price should not have such a problem.

20190319_125455.jpg20190227_153348.jpg

4 Replies

@Arie BosI have 2 Surface pro 4 i7 256gb that have burned up in the last week. I do not know if yours got worse. my have both progressed to bowed screens, the touch no longer works and on has separated from the base. and like you I have had them about 2 1/2 years. Very strange that it happened to them a week apart. I put them in use at the same time.

I will be contacting MS for repair after I get them replaced. hope they feel that there is a defect.

@Kevin_Warnick Initially, MS did not want to put it under warranty with the burning spots only. Then, after 4-5- weeks, the screen started to come loose of the body. 

I contacted them again (netherlands) and sent pictures of the bown screen. Within 5 minutes I got a reply email saying the unit would be completely replaced by a new one, as it turs out this is caused by a swollen battery. In 4 days i had it in house. Top service from MS, really.!

Good luck I hope you can have the same replacement,

I have the same problem. I have sent even a video, but still I have  not received any other information nor the device.

How can I get in touch again?

This is my third Surface Pro, and for the moment, I am seriously thinking about change to another kind of laptop.

Thanks anyway

@Arie Bos Mine just started last week.  Do you know how much time I have before it completely blows up the screen?