Windows 10 Team Edition Virtual Appliance

Copper Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I guess this will be a non starter, but has anyone had any experience / attempts at getting a build of Windows 10 Team Edition to run as a Hyper-V / VMWare guest OS?

In my day job we use Surface Hub extensively, and getting hands on the devices to create basic 'How to do that thing on the Surface Hub' means heading into the office, finding a spare hub, grabbing screen shots or sometimes (if I need to explain how to use call controls for Skype/Teams) even taking photos or videos of me at the device.

If we had a way to run it as a VM - or even an emulated build like we had in the old days of Windows Mobile - then creating this kind of content would be so much easier.

I'm not really expecting this to go anywhere, but if you don't ask then you never find out.

Paul

6 Replies
Hi Paul

Interesting question, I've never thought about giving this a try, so not sure if it would work. I have the OS image so I might try this out at some point and report back.

In the meantime, I'd recommend getting a good external capture card for taking videos/screenshots of the Surface Hub screen. I use The AverMedia Live Gamer Extreme (https://www.amazon.co.uk/AVerMedia-Live-Gamer-Extreme-LGX/dp/B07CNPRBZ8) with a mini-displayport to HDMI cable (for Hub 2S) or displayport to HDMI (for Hub 1st Gen) to capture the screen and make instructional videos and take screenshots of the whole screen.

You've just reminded me I still need to update my user guide for the Teams interface!

D

@Daniel Hudson 

Hello good,

It would be interesting to be able to virtualize it to do the configuration and screen tests, to then proceed, spending on a captor of only screenshots is too much cost for the task to be done.

Greetings,

@Daniel Hudson did you manage to test this? 

Actually Microsoft had some training labs with surface hub frompartner university courses but they expired in july.

Kind rgs,

RM

@Ricardo Mendes Unfortunately I was not able to make this work. Can't say I'm all that surprised mind!

@PaulGregory Morning! I found a video on the old YT (look for surface hub lab) looking for just this same kind of thing. It requires you to have access to the surface hub recovery utility, an SSD for use in a surface hub (gen1) (not all discs are supported) and some patience. It definitely works on my corporate machine as a VM but is temperamental. I have used it exclusively for taking better screen captures of the SurfaceHub OS to share with my business users. Testing config changes pre deployment is very termperamental and sometimes strange scenarios involving my managed win10 laptop configs were being inherited etc so don't rely on it for that. Good luck.

@MathewUniper 

yes the virtual surface hub works perfectly , does not need very high specs.