Teams Mode 2 - Infinite Reboot Cycle

Copper Contributor

We just installed a new Surface Hub 2 in the environment, ran all the Windows Updates and then proceeded to follow the following article 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/teams-surface-hub with the USB method.  

Once we changed to Mode 2 and rebooted, the Surface Hub 2 device says "Getting ready for the next session." followed by "Your device needs an update. Restarting to finish it up."  It then reboots and this cycle goes on and on forever.  At this point in time we are doing a reset of the device because we need the room operational, however there seems to be limited documentation on what this could be.

Frustrating since it's not even a day old and issues are happening. 

We've launched a support case:

Support request number:

Anyone have any ideas?

12 Replies

Hello @SGuthrie 

We are aware of this issue and it is still under investigation. There are a couple of workarounds to make this work. Either configure the device with TeamsMode1 which will start Teams as primary conferencing app while allowing your users to join Skype meetings too, or configure TeamsMode2 using Intune as described in this article

Best regards,

Cezar

Thank you @Cezar Cretu for the note.  The technician with my case just replied with the same thing.  Seems this has been an issue for awhile, when can we expect a fix?

I'll make sure we do Mode 1 and try that out.

Thanks

Shaun

Unfortunately there's no ETA on this yet as it's hard to reproduce the issue at will. 

Best regards,

Cezar

Same here, is the only solution a recovery? :(
Yup, have to do a recovery otherwise it just keeps rebooting and rebooting. Not ideal. Still continues to be an issue with no resolve. Not very happy about this.
Hmmm, thnx. Pitty because recovery takes Some time. Does option 1 works? So set Teams default and at the logon screen but keep Skype. Thnx

@Clammertink  I can't recall what mode my tech's set it to. I think it was Teams Mode 1 which allows Skype and Teams to co-exist.  That seems to have worked without issue. 

@Clammertink 

Once the device is reset, you can push the .ppkg file through MDM as the issue doesn't reproduce in this way (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/teams-surface-hub#option-2-configure-via-mdm-such-as...)

Thank you,

Cezar

@Cezar Cretu that assumes someone has MDM in place like InTune. Microsoft cannot make that assumption, they need to fix the issue so that it can be installed via the USB which is the easiest way.  

@SGuthrie I agree with you, just providing this option here as it might help a few.

Best regards,

Cezar

@Cezar Cretu has this been resolved yet or still a known issue?  It's been another two months since anything on this thread.  Also seeing another issue that another has which I posted on over here - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/surface-hub/surface-hub-2-your-device-needs-an-update-restart...  Seems the Surface Hub2 is in need of an update.  For such an expensive device, you'd think it would get some attention.

Hello @SGuthrie 

We do have a fix for this which will be released with the next major OS update. There is no ETA on this just yet but it's not very far away.

For the time being, you can use one of the workarounds: use TeamsMode1 instead or push the TeamsMode2 configuration through MDM. 

Thank you,

Cezar