Surface Hub Suggestion Box

Steel Contributor

Huge Surface Hub fan here.  I thought I'd start a suggestion box thread.  Feel free to contribute.  I'll start with my next reply!

83 Replies

@Tim Presland, I updated Collaboration Recall yesterday (31 January 2018) with the latest beta build and while the app launched this time, the audio was choppy and it crashed during playback.

Hi Allan, 

Sorry for the delay in reply.  For some reason I wasn't getting notifications .... I'll sort that out. 

We've update the BETA a few times since then and we're about to release FULL PRODUCTION which was unlimited recording. 

The current version has the chopping resolved,  and we also have in advanced settings the ability to change the levels of the Speaker and Microphone.   We also have options to completely turn off the speaker and microphone too.   

The audio and microphone recording has been extremely hard to get a balance right without getting feedback and it's also dependent on environment use cases too ... like if the Surface Hub is installed in an open space, a closed space,  larger gathering or attached peripherals etc.  

Please email INFO@BinaryBorn.com for an immediate response if needed :) 

cheers

-Tim.

@Tim Presland, I just looked this morning to see if there were any updates for that app and that is the latest one as it said there were no updates except for the one from the end of January and the audio is still choppy.  :(

Hi Jeff, 

Thanks for the heads up in email too. 

Sorry about this, we're looking it ASAP. 

Hi Jeff, 

As mentioned in email, can you please test and validate again?

The correction has been reinstated and we're sorry for the interruption.  

Please email if you have issues again. 

INFO@BinaryBorn.com

Thank you. 

Does anybody know if Surface Dial is support on the first generation Surface Hub with screen interactions?  Getting ready to start a large project using first gen Hubs and considered using the dials for data exploration.

Hi Mike

Sadly no, Surface Dial is not supported on Surface Hub.

D

The surface series (in my case the Surface 3) would greatly benefit from a bios option to disable the touch screen.  When the touch screen becomes compromised, starting the computer can become slow or impossible due to the screen registering rapid inputs.   

This suggestion box is for the Microsoft Surface Hub and not all Microsoft Surface devices.

Wild suggestion:

"Surface Hub Lite" running on the new Raspberry Pi 4.

Surface Hub is great, but relatively costly for small businesses, the functionality of document sharing and Miracast are great, so providing a lightweight version of Surface Hub which can be plugged into an existing conventional TV in meeting rooms would be a great compliment to Surface Hub.

Also, if you just want Miracast capabilities, consider the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter: https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-gb/products/adapters/microsoft-wireless-display-adapter/cg4...

@David Phillips Yes, although all the solutions there are relatively expensive.

@Daniel Hudson I regularly use the remote display capabilities of Windows 10, but Apple doesn't support Miracast and many colleagues use Macbooks with Teams. It would be slicker to have either a Teams Room or Surface Hub Lite on the TV without expensive hardware.

@bobdvb I feel like I'm missing your arguement. The idea of a 'Surface Hub Lite' doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not sure how exactly you can get to a "Surface Hub Lite" running on a raspberry pi 4. For a start, where's the touchscreen? Windows 10 Team is made for touch; you can't just plug this in and suddenly turn a TV into a touch capable device.

If you're talking about a Windows 10 experience for cheap, then just buy a Windows 10 PC and plug it into a TV, but I'll guarentee that isn't going to deliver what Surface Hub does. I know that for a fact; that's exactly what my company tried before I stepped in and championed Surface Hub for our meeting rooms.

I think the problem with the arguement is that ultimately this isn't what Surface Hub is about; if Microsoft wanted to make a cheaper version they absolutely could, but they aren't interested in compromising the experience or making that experience worse or limiting. It's meant to be a flagship product that provides everything you need in a meeting room.

There are many competing products out there now (Cisco Webex Board, Google Jamboard etc.) but in my experience these cheaper products are indeed inferior.

@David Phillips is right, if you want a conferncing experience with the advantage of screen sharing at a cheaper price, consider Microsoft Teams Rooms. We use the Lenovo ThinkSmart Hub 500 and it comes in around £1,800-£2,000 depending on supplier.

If you just want to screen share , go with the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter and an Apple TV hooked into a standard TV. Or just, you know, an HDMI cable!

I think it could be a good idea to offer the possibility when we close the session to liberate the room on the calendar.

For example, I book a room from 9h am to 11 am but my meeting finish at 10h am. 1 hour earlier.

I close my session on surface hub at 10am. The surface hub could ask me if I free the room. If yes the meeting on outlook will update to finish at 10 am instead of 11 am. Like that, someone could reserve the room from 10am to 11am.

I am not sure to be clear.

Better that should be if after a delay (15min for example) the room is steel empty (with camera), the room will be released.

For example with my previous example. If at 9h15 am the surface hub see no one, it released the room on the calendar.

@David Phillips Just starting to use these in my new role.  Really love the features and general awesomeness! 

Part of the reason I love these is I communicate best by drawing, scribbling etc. Wish you could change the marker tip to chisel or calligraphy pen, brush etc. in the Whiteboard app. Have a lot of content I do now on a standard whiteboard that I can almost do on the Surface Hub - but not quite. Any chance this is a coming feature?

Where are the full features of Teams for the Surface Hub such as presenting your screen and sharing system audio like you can with WIndows 10 devices.  If Microsoft intends to replace SfB with Teams these and more need to be available on the Surface Hub!  Come on Microsoft, let's get going on the Teams app for the Surface Hub!

Hello @Jeffrey Allen,

We are working on releasing some of the features that make sense to have on the Surface Hub. The Surface Hub Product Group is currently gathering feedback on what are the most wanted and useful Teams features for Surface Hub.

I recommend that everyone uses the Feedback Hub app to provide suggestions, feedback and report issues as this channel is directly monitored by PG. Also make sure to provide details of the impact and how this feature will increase productivity in your business. The number of devices affected will also help prioritize it before others

Thank you,

Cezar

@Cezar Cretu, I have posted through the Hub but not sure it was received.