Surface Hub recovery tool still requires admin privileges for download :(

Bronze Contributor

Hi,

Once more I was needed to rebuild the Surface Hub (v1) the image, and I was (or not sure was I really) surprised that running the tool still requires local administrative privileges. At least I feel it is very normal that administrator accounts must not have access to internet.

Is anybody even aware of the actually reasons why this tool must be running with local administrator privileges? At least the documentation (Using the Surface Hub Recovery Tool ) does not say anything about that.

Has anybody found a workaround for this? Granting regular account to local administrator is also something wishing to not do. At least the download process should be possible to run with regular account, if the write operate itself requires higher privileges.

2 Replies

Hello @Petri X,

Most likely the reason why you need administrative rights is to mount the disk and format it as part of the process to re-image the disk. You can use a non-domain joined device or a personal PC to perform this action as a workaround. 

Best regards,
Cezar

Cezar,
Yes, of course when taking this out from corporate, there are no troubles. But I still feel, this needs some work more.