Surface Hub External Mic

Copper Contributor

We have had Surface Hubs since they were first on the market and love them! 

We have been pushing back on requests to put any external mics or cameras on them, for multiple reasons, but we still have some people who insist on it. 

Has anyone had good succss putting any external mics (ex: Biamp) on their Surface Hub and having it work (We had a mute sync issue with a Biamp we origionally put on a demo unit) as well as improve the audio quality?

Thanks

Skylar Freeman

17 Replies
I've only ever used an external mic for a Hub in a long meeting room, which is not the ideal space for a Hub in the first place. It worked well enough - not issues that I know of.

We are looking at Biamp and Vaddio solutions.  I have successfully tested with a Polycom Trio in USB mode and a Polycom CX5100.  Both worked great.  I don't see why a Biamp Devio or Vaddio solution wouldn't work equally well.

FYI, I think I read somewhere that Biamp fixed that mute sync issue with Surface Hub and Devio.

Sennheiser has the TeamConnect Wireless - 2 or 4 wireless satellites where the Surface Hub connects via either BlueTooth or USB to the master satellite.  The master satellite wirelessly transmits audio to/from the other satellites.  Please note that each wireless satellite has both microphones and an individually controlled speaker and could be used for up to 24 participants.  We've got a number of universities in California currrently using TeamConnect Wireless with 70" Surface Hubs this way.

The TeamConnect Wireless also has built-in Echo Cancellation too.

Hi David, 

I'm in the same bag. I have a long conference room, and will be installing a Surface Hub on one end, and I anticipate the need for extra microphones.  I have a Polycom CX5500 currently in that room, basically the same as a CX5100 which you said you succesfully tested.  Is there a reason you are looking into other options, since you said that worked great?  Perhaps, you are investigating additional equipment such as speakers, etc., as I am also.  You are a step ahead of me, so appreciate the discussion. 

Hey Brian,

It comes down to personal preference for me.  The Polycom CX series has a 360 degree camera that I feel is better suited for a smaller space.  When participants are looking at the screen and speaking, the camera on the CX will be showing the side of their face or back of their head, depending on where it is located in the room.  

If there's no existing room audio, I would personally go for a Biamp Devio and either use the existing cameras or install a Logitech PTZ Pro 2.  If there is room audio, you could use a Vaddio USB A/V bridge to link room audio with your Surface Hub.

Is there any other way to connect a Trio without USB tethering to the Hub. Would be much more useful if they could "pair" using the same sign in address.

Hi David,

We're in a similar situation with multiple Surface Hubs and continuous complaints about sound and mic pickup. I've tested the Team Connect solution from Sennheiser but whilst its not too bad there is an issue with the bluetooth not connecting automatically, that is to say once paired, everytime you wish to use it you have to go into the admin settings and connect the paired device (not ideal for the end users).

Keen to hear if anyone has tried the Vaddio (or other solutions) to improve audio and mic.

Cheers !

It would be nice, but I'm not sure if it would be possible to get perfect audio sync with the video on the Surface Hub that way.

We just had a TesiraFORTE demonstration yesterday.  Hooked it up between a Surface Hub and some existing room audio and it worked well. 

Has anybody had any luck with external speakers for the Surface Hub, as there doesn't appear to be a line out option on the Hub?

The BiAmp seems to cover the external mics but you still need to sort out external ceiling speakers if you want a proper room experience.

Jed

We are using Surface Hub paired with Biamp Devio for both mic and speakers in a number of our conference rooms.  Sound quality is fantastic.  Just make sure you have the correct firmware version:

https://support.biamp.com/Devio/Configuration/Using_Devio_with_a_Microsoft_Surface_Hub 

Excellent, that looks perfect, thanks !

Did you add an amplifier for greater volume/amp control or was the 20W sufficient? It mentions it can drive a single audio channel so I'm assuming that's just one speaker so you'd typically connect an am for a larger room?

Did you use the DCM-1 ceiling mics, as they look ideal for a professional level install?

Jed

We install amps for some of the larger rooms and use both the table top and ceiling mics in different scenarios.  Just be sure to test your audio coverage as room sizes and amount of people in the room will have a direct effect on accoustics.

Here is an amazing piece of ground breaking technology that connect via USB into surface-hubs and helps deal with audio  pickup in problem rooms where SHUB is installed on a wall.

So when on calls every one is not gathered around the SHUB but fre to move around freely in space of up to 9mx9m and even further.

IF you want to try one out get in touch with Nureva Directly they will be able to help.

https://www.nureva.com/hdl300-audio-conferencing-system

T

Hi

I've tested a range of external microphones and there's lot of good suggestions in the thread. 

The easiest solution of us .... as in cheapest, provided a good solution and allowed the end user to manage themselves was to use 2 x Jabra 710's.    http://www.jabra.com.au/business/speakerphones/jabra-speak-series/jabra-speak-710

One Jabra 710 would be connected to the S.Hub and then the 2nd Jabra linked to the first one.   It allowed the units to be moved around quite freely if the stand up was in an open environment or lots of people interacting.

At times if the Bluetooth acted up a little (due to so many mobile phones in the area) we would simply connect the 1st Jabra via it's USB cable to the S.Hub and then still link the 2nd Jabra to the first again.

I hope this helps.  :)  

We have our BTD 800 Dongle that we can send out to you.  With the dongle, you shouldn't have to go into admin anymore once it's initially set up.  Also, you can set up the TeamConnect to automatically pair with the dongle when the main unit has turned on.  

@Daryl Nishimiya 

Daryl,

I saw you use the Sennheise TeamConnect with Surface Hubs, can you share your experience?

Is it easy to use and good quality / stable connection?

Thanks in advance

Maarten Van Wesenbeeck