Surface Hub 2 - Your device needs an update. Restarting to finish it up...

Copper Contributor

Has anyone seen this issue when a user clicks end session, it then prepares for the next session then a screen comes up "Your device needs an update.  Restarting to finish it up..." then it reboots.  It does this every single time someone clicks end session.  There are no updates to be done so not sure what's going on.  

Shaun

21 Replies

We just set up a Surface Hub 2 in our organization and we are experiencing the same exact issue! The device is totally up to date but ending a session causes it to reboot to install updates. @ShaunEDM 

@dorce370 while I'm not happy it's happening to you, I'm at least glad I'm not the only one.  Our device is only 6 months old and it's been doing it since day one.  We are setup with Teams Mode 1 as we tried Teams Mode 2 when we first got the device but that put it in an endless loop.  So Teams Mode 1 stays and works.  I'm hoping more people have this issue and while it's not preventing the use of the device, it's annoying and really shouldn't be happening.  An update is needed.

Sigh, we had the same issue with Teams Mode 2! I ended up having to Factory Reset the Hub in order to fix that issue and we are also currently using Teams Mode 1. I agree, it is annoying and hopefully an update will fix the issue. @SGuthrie 

@dorce370 I have the same problem in Teams Mode 2 - is there any solution for this other than factory resetting the unit as currently stuck in constant reboot cycle.

Hello @jrplex,

This is a known issue, affecting some of the devices. There is a fix in the new Surface Hub Team 2020 update  which uses a different method of Teams configuration. This is currently in preview but we confirmed it fixes the issue.

In the meantime, the workaround is to either configure Teams Mode 2 via Intune or use Mode 1 instead.

Thank you,

Cezar

@Cezar Cretu Thank you for the reply Cezar, I don't have the device enrolled in Intune at the moment so I guess my only option is to factory reset the device to get it working again? It is currently constantly rebooting so I have no option to load a new package to force it into Teams mode 1

I'm afraid that is the only solution at this point.

Best regards,
Cezar
Wow this is still an issue? We’ve not been in our office for awhile due to Covid. I’ll see if I can get my team to check for updates and see if it’s still an issue. This is unacceptable for how much people have paid for this device.
Hello,

This is fixed with 20H2 update. You don't need to configure Teams with a provisioning package anymore, which also resolves this issue. You can just select the primary calling app from settings.

Best regards,
Cezar

Thanks @Cezar Cretu , glad to hear that.  I just checked with my team and it appears to be resolved.  We have another issue but unrelated to this thread.

@Cezar Cretu Looks like we spoke to soon.  Same behavior is happening. What now?

@SGuthrie if you're sure the device is running 20H2, please open a Support Case 

Thanks

Cezar

@Cezar Cretu i just change the mode to 1 and will let you know. The end session take 5 or more

@Cezar Cretu 

Upgraded to 20H2 /Azure AD and Intune Managed

Can not set Teams under Settings > Surface Hub > Calling and Audio > Default app for meetings and calls. ?

Set to SFB.

Hello @AusSupport180,

Looks like this is managed by Endpoint Manager. Can you check if you already have this policy configured? I can't say for sure if that is the case, but it's where I'd start.

If not, please open a support case and an engineer will assist you

Thank you,

Cezar

Running into this issue on a Surface Hub 2s purchased within the last month. Comes with an outdated OS, and after doing all the setup steps and installing updates has been in a reboot loop for 2 days. Did a recovery overnight, and again today after logging in and setting up Administrators account, reboot loop.

There really needs to be something to address this other than BMR or Intune (customer doesn't have MDM). This has taken an enormous amount of time to configure, and has been quite frustrating to read about these issues from last year that are still present on a brand new device.

@ADoran That's incredibly frustrating to hear that even with the latest OS this has not been resolved.  With how much money these devices are, you'd think a stable operating system would be available.  We just sent ours back to Microsoft because the whole screen basically had ghosting like an old CRT monitor.  So our team will have to do a new setup on the replacement device when it comes in.  I'll report back and see if we experience the same.  

Sorry if I was unclear. The Surface Hub 2s ships with an outdated OS v1703. After all the updates (takes hours) and being prompted to restart, reboot loop.

I am currently in the process of creating a BMR recovery on USB stick to hopefully go straight to 20H2 and avoid the time sink of doing updates and get past this ridiculous Teams Mode 1/Mode 2 issues entirely.

But I agree about the cost. There needs to be better support or progress with fixes for a device at this price. These devices are for business and schools where I am, and both are quite demanding for needing things to work, and work well.