SH loose connection with Skype for Business every day (O365 account) - need to reboot it each day

Copper Contributor

Hello all,

I deployed a Surface Hub 55" in O365 integration on a customer site. Device is working fine but it looses its Skype connection every day (probably during night) and my customer must reboot it every morning to correct the issue. I asked the customer to check the firewall and open all ports from SH to Internet but it doesn't solve the issue...

I suspect a network issue but I don't know how to prove it easily as I already asked to open firewall and logs are not easily readable... As it is an O365 account, I cannot check on server side.

Is anyone has faced this kind of issue? Any idea of what might cause the disconnection or troubleshoot steps?

2 Replies

Hi, is the issue where it comes up asking you to sign in to Skype? If this is it I have the same issue, so shall keep an eye on this.

If it works on a reboot then it's very unlikely to be a network issue as that would be a permanent problem.

Hi Sophie and Mike

This is a known issue when the Surface Hub resumes from sleep mode: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4025643

Skype for Business requires you to sign in when resuming from sleep mode
When waking Surface Hub from sleep, Skype for Business can enter a state where it’s unable to automatically sign in. In this state, users must manually retry the sign-in operation to join meetings. Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available.

Also note that the August Cumulative Update fixed a slightly related sign-in issue: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4037666/surface-surface-hub-update-history

Skype for Business

• Resolves Skype for Business Sign-In issue, which required retry or system reboot.

Next steps would be to firstly confirm that you have installed the Creators Update for Windows 10 Team (1703) and are running the latest cumulative update.

Secondly, you could use MDM to deploy a reboot schedule SyncML policy to the device that would force restart it just before they began work (using the Reboot CSP), or you could do this through a provisioning package deployed by USB.

If you need the SyncML, this is an exmaple below. Note that the time and date are in UTC (the date denotes when the reboot schedule should begin from):

<SyncML xmlns="SYNCML:SYNCML1.2">
<SyncBody>
<Replace>
<CmdID>1</CmdID>
<Item>
<Target>
<LocURI>./Vendor/MSFT/Reboot/Schedule/DailyRecurrent</LocURI>
</Target>
<Meta>
<Format xmlns="syncml:metinf">chr</Format>
</Meta>
<Data>2017-09-09T00:00:00Z</Data>