Recording video and audio from Surface Hub

Copper Contributor

I am looking for a way to record audio and video from the Surface Hub when giving presentations. Using Skype for Business call recorder does not seem to be the best option, as the quality of video I get is not sufficient.

I enclose a video https://channel9.msdn.com/blogs/Design-and-Develop-Apps-for-surface-Hub/Dr-Neil-and-Golnaz-show-YOU-...

They are using some external recording device but I am not able to identify it. Also I do not know whether it records both audio and video.

Do you have any experience with any such external devices for recording from Surface Hub?

Thank you in advance

16 Replies

Hi.

Stay tuned!!!   We have an app coming called COLLABORATION RECALL that addresses this issue ..... AND it's a NATIVE app that was written from the ground up specifically for the Microsoft Surface Hub. 

A simple idea that is extremely complex to code but we have achieved it and side loading works.  We are currently in review to be published in the Windows Store.  It will be released for a short time for free as BETA.   We can customise for your environment if you need saving to LMS or Cloud services.

Just a quick overview ......

"COLLABORATION RECALL is a recording application that captures everything done on and in front of the Microsoft Surface Hub.

It will record everything you see, every bit of audio and every pen or touch screen interaction on the Surface Hub. It can also capture the camera and microphone audio in front of the Surface Hub and also your Skype for Business meetings. 

The RECALL file can be used to local USB, NAS or Cloud.  

This "utility" app will be installed via the Windows Store AND does not require an internet connection to run or record.  It sits and runs in the background as a stand alone installation".

If you would like more information or be kept in the loop when COLLABORATION RECALL is released.... please email me on INFO@BinaryBorn.com

Any questions let me know? 

Cheers

-Tim. 

Founder and Boss dude of BinaryBorn. 

Collaboration Recall screen.png

Hi Juraj

We use an AVerMedia Live Gamer Extreme with a DisplayPort to HDMI cable and Aux cable to record both the screen at 1080p and audio. We can record uncompressed too which is nice, so I can get full 1080p screenshots for user guides and admin guides. It works surprisingly well.

That said, I am very keen to try out the Collaboration Recall app that Tim has mentioned, especially if it can record the cameras/audio from the room and touch/pen interactions. I'm very intrigued to see how it works and how the quality stacks up.

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan, 

Thanks for the interest.

I'll re-post once we're in the Windows Store. 

cheers

-Tim. 

Definitely interested in this. What's your ETA on availability?

Hi Michael (and all)

We are finally searchable and downloadable from the Windows Store. 

Simply open up the Store on your Surface Hub and search for "COLLABORATION RECALL"

Screen cap from Windows Store.png

Please note - as a reminder,  this is a BETA app.   We already have a few changes on the way but we are keen to work with any Corporations, Government bodies,  Education sectors, Sporting Institutes or just anyone really that are keen to be part of BETA program.  

The BETA has a 5 min recording restriction but you can save to USB or S.Hub storage. 

please email INFO@BinaryBorn.com to be included in the BETA program. 

Thanks

-Tim. 

CR signature.png

What do you do with the audio out when using the AVmedia?

Once a jack is plugged in the HUB it cuts off the built in speaker.

Do you add external speaker to it or?

Hi All

Just a quick reply. 

Thanks to those that have downloaded BETA v1.0 of Collaboration Recall and the wonderful feedback provided.  We are aiming to release BETA v1.1 before xmas 2017 to remove an audio clipping bug.  The BETA will still have a 5min limitation to recording.  

For a full blown version is expected to be released in Feb 2018. 

• Lite Version with 5 min capture (or) Full Version Unlimited time recording. 
  • Displays available recording time based on local and USB attached storage.
  • Updated description in Windows Store.
  • File naming options. 
  • New media player GUI. 
  • Remove quality capture options – it will only be default as 1080p. 
  • Info Section.

The download link ..... 

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9P2QHJ3ZNRD6

Please note - although this was written specifically for the Surface Hub,  it can be downloaded and installed onto any Windows 10 device (meeting requirements) from the Windows Store. 

We welcome any Skype discussions with dealers, re-sellers, vendors, software distributors, Surface Hub fleet owners, support staff .... or just anyone really wanting the ability to record on the Surface Hub via a 100% native application.    A 2018 roadmap is available for vested enquiries only. 

INFO@BinaryBorn.com

cheers

-Tim

CR signature.png

@Tim Presland, what will the price be on the final version when it comes out?

Hello Tim, thank you for this wonderful news and for your app. This is really something I have been looking for and I am looking forward to the full version!

I have tried the app and it works smoothly, I have just noticed that texts showing on Surface Hub as normal-size are shrinked when the video is previewed on the smaller screen - this is understandable but is there any way how to avoid that for example smaller video windows (when using Skype for Business) is shrinked into low quality?

Also I understand from the description of the app that the recorder can also record captures from Surface Hub cameras. Is there any way how to choose what to record (screen or cameras or both)? Or does it simply mean that once I put video from camera on the Hub screen (e.g. by using Skype for Business), it will be captured as a part of screen capturing?

Thank you in advance for your answers, I have only now found your replies to my initial query, so I am eager to test the app as thoroughly as possible.

Juraj Kotrusz

Hi Juraj,

Sincerely sorry for the delay in the reply.  Notifications aren't working but I'll sort that out. 

We've updated the BETA a few times since then and we're about to release FULL PRODUCTION which will have unlimited recording. 

For this Version 1 full release is all about enabling the capability of purely recording which hadn't been achieved.   We do have many, many features planned for Version 2 (not till 2nd half of the year) and we rely on feedback on which features users would like to see in order for us to focus on that development.   For instance, we know the GUI is awful ... so that will be addressed in Version 2. 

Re: Recording for Version 1.   Simply think of the old WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get). 

It's native ... 

55” Surface Hub = 1920 x 1080

84” Surface Hub = 3840 x 2160

With regards to camera recording ... yes for version 1 it's only what's being displayed in your Skype session.  If you have full screen cameras in Skype showing it will record that.  If Skype is just to the side in default operartion it will just record the entire screen with the skype on the side.    WYSIWYG. 

However in version 2 we will have an option to turn on the camera if not in a Skype meeting.  We have it working in alpha already. 

Please see http://binaryborn.com/ for FAQ :) 

Or email INFO@BinaryBorn.com for a quick reply. 

cheers

-Tim. 

Hi Allan, 

Sorry again for the delay as I mentioned in another post. 

Price is close to be officially released when we hit full PROD.(timestamp 28.2.18) .... we should have been released in Feb which was the aim but things blow out.  We will be released in March 2018  .... fingers crossed ;p 

I can say it will certainly be much, much cheaper than any hardware options that we know users have hooked up to get recording.    

If you wish to find out more details and our road map please contact INFO@BinaryBorn.com - we can do a skype call if you want?   This invite is open to others too :) 

Thanks. 

Regarding recording, what are you looking to actually record?  The session, white boarding etc? Also what is the plan to do with the recording afterwards?  Is live streaming a requirement or just on demand in Stream or similar?

My desire is to record both the presentation/whiteboard, as well as the presenter, e.g. in an embedded window. This would be great for offline lectures 

Sorry to everyone waiting on full release Collaboration Recall. 

It's COMING!!!   May 2018

We've been actually ready for a  month now but we've got a hold up with the Microsoft App Store process.    If anyone has any experience with ABN/GST with Dev Dasboard please ping me ... it's driving us crazy!!!  We're full registered with ABR  .... but MS support aren't accepting our details and can't shed any light other than for us to check our ABN which I've talked to 4 times now and all is ok from their side.

I'll post in another thread for help.  

Hi Tim, 

I've downloaded the Trial version and I am having difficulties using it.

The interface seems a little clugey. I can record and save it locally.

I can then replay it, but once I've replayed it, I don't know how to get back to the initial options to record.

In addition, when will we be able to capture video?

I have only tried a call between the hub and cell phone with skype for business.

Is it possible to save to a network drive?

Hi Chris, 

The interface I admit isn't the best but we're running with it at the moment as we focus on always tuning the engine.   The apps actually records video now..... .Anything you see on the Surface Hub the app will record. 

Saving to a network drive is a manual process at this stage sorry.    Just login to your OneDrive on the Surface Hub and copy the recording .... or .... if that's not possible, then record directly to a USB storage device you attach to the Surace Hub and take the USB to another computer that's on your domain if that's applicable? 

Please contact me at INFO@BinaryBorn.com and we discuss any assistance. 

cheers

-Tim.