Multiple issues with Surface Hub recently

Steel Contributor

Hi All

I've been seeing multiple issues with our Surface Hubs recently that are causing some real problems with ongoing testing, and general user frustration. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same kinds of issues?

• The Photos app now bundles the Video Editor app in and installs by default on Surface Hub, but the Video Editor app cannot be opened or deleted
    • You'll see an error of "This app can't open - There's a problem with Video Editor. Contact your system administrator about repairing or reinstalling it." if you try to open it
  • Photos also now refuses to update or reinstall (I assume as a result of Video Editor being bundled)
  • Offline licensed apps that are supposed to automatically install via Intune (or any MDM for that matter) don't seem to install automatically anymore
  • When using a custom start menu, when including a website tile, the tile does not always appear on the Start Menu
    • Also, if the tule is set to be anything other than 2x2, the tile icon and name won't appear (you'll just get a blank tile)

I'm going to raise these issues with Microsoft through Premier Support. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed these issues too, or any others for that matter?

2 Replies

Hi Daniel.

We have experienced the offline licensed apps not installing via Intune - this was working, then stopped working, now magically has begun to work again.

We also have the same issue with a customized Start Menu. I have logged a support case for this, and it has been confirmed as a bug. The development team have told us they are not going to fix this bug due to 'technical difficulties'. Please go ahead and log it though - I have been told 'a limited number of customers are affected by this problem as start screen customization is not widely performed'. Maybe 'technical difficulties' could be overcome if more cases are logged?  ;)

Hi Darron

So, I've logged the following 3 faults with Microsoft:

Photos/Video Editor App - Ticket number: 118082218839900
Confirmed as a bug and registered with the product group to look into it.

Apps not installing through Intune - Ticket number: 118082218839940
Issue has been raised to the Intune team via Surface Hub support team. Appears to be a recent change in Intune now identifying Surface Hubs as users and not devices. Thus the offline device licensed app will fail to install with error 'A user can't be targeted with a device context install (0x87D10780)'. To be certain I was using the right version, I tried pushing the online licenses version and Intune rightly disrgards this and stats it's not applicable for the devices being targeted. This is still not resolved for us.

Website tiles disappear from start menu/4x2 tiles missing logo and title - Ticket number: 118082218839931
Still looking into this with Microsoft. I'm providing examples of how this appears and disappears randomly between different sessions on the Surface Hub, and also an example of the 4x2 tile missing. Hopefully we can apply some extra pressure to have them fix this somehow!

As always, if others are experiencing these issues, please comment below and please raise it with Microsoft here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4037644/surface-contact-surface-warranty-and-software-suppo...

I'll continue to update on these issues below as and when I get updates.

Thanks
D