Multiple authentification required to open Office document from OneDrive.

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone, I need to know if everyone is having the same behavior than us when opening Office documents.

We are using the Surface Hub for meetings and we need to access some documents. We do not have Windows 10 available for now and some of our management team do not want to use cables to connect their computer to the Surface Hub as we are piloting them for a wireless use.

we have deployed the OneDrive app with the goal of having people using the OneDrive as a repository for their documents.

What happen is that the user presenting need to authenticate itself on the OneDrive app (email only), then I hit my ADFS and authenticate again (email and password) then, when opening a document in Word, I have to authenticate again (email only) then I hit my ADFS again (email and password).

Now I open a document in Excel, I have to authenticate (email only), then I hit my ADFS (email and password).

Then the same thing with Powerpoint.

Is it a normal behavior?

Is it something we can change?

Is there any planning to provide a way to enter credential once?

I am aware of the diffcultie to manage different users interacting with the hub at once, and I am selling that idea but I have to ask anyway to provide answers to my boss :)

Thank you all!

25 Replies
Can you clarify - is the experience you're having when opening files on the Surface Hub itself, or on local computers?

That behavior is only on the Surface Hub. The same thing on a computer will be that at some point I'll hit the ADFS but only once.

In the attached document, you have all the step required to open a word and a powerpoint document using the same credentials at each logon request and from a freshly restard Surface Hub.

The other part is on a computer, the requirement to open the same document form a coputer which I am already logon (from this morning) with my credentials.

In fact, I am only asked once for my credentials on the computer and this is to authenticate myself on the web page for Onedrive. Wich probably never happened if I wasn't logged on my personnal OneDrive.

I can confirm I'm seeing the same behaviour. Early adopter here with 9 hubs on site.

Hi Mathieu, we are also experiencing this behaviour in the same scenario as yours, have you had any feedback from MS?

Other than here I do not have posted anywhere alse but no, no news from someone from MS.

If there is something coing I would like to answer and if others have some idea to help them well, keep posting here :)

I'm experiencing the same thing.  I start my sessions by opening the OneDrive app, authenticate with email+password, find the document I want to work with and when I click the document, the application (e.g. Word or Excel) opens the attached pop-up and asks for email address, again... and when I open another file in a different application I get prompted again... Which of course is mindnumbingly tedious.

So the workaround I use is to simply click the cancel button on this pop-up.  Then the application opens but the document doesn't.  Then I hop back into the OneDrive app and click the same document again and now it opens.  After that the OneDrive connection seems to work smoothly...

But how I wish I could get rid of that annoying pop-up...  

Same behavior here.

I have heard that it would be fixed in an update march/april.

so you only need to sign in one time.

/Lars Berlau

Thank you for that update.

Can anyone from MS confirm that?

The MS staff seems awefully quiet in this community?

I have also heard that there may be news this week....

Just to close that point, the new feature from the Creator Update allow to connect using an account upfront, when opening the meeting so you won't have to connect each time for each file.

While the Creators update claims to solve with with single sign on, we are actually finding that it has broken all document access on our updated device.

The inital sign in will work and show files but if you open one, the office app will prompt for sign in again and then fail to open the file as it appears to get signed out of the app (we see the recent files list show files then they all disapear).

The onedrive app can sign in and browse files but opening them online fails and the office apps again give an permissions type error. The only work around we have found so far is to download a copy of the file locally and then open it from the Hub local drive.

We are in the same O365/ADFS federated login config as the first poster.

@Miles VLSC Holt wrote:

While the Creators update claims to solve with with single sign on, we are actually finding that it has broken all document access on our updated device.

The inital sign in will work and show files but if you open one, the office app will prompt for sign in again and then fail to open the file as it appears to get signed out of the app (we see the recent files list show files then they all disapear).

The onedrive app can sign in and browse files but opening them online fails and the office apps again give an permissions type error. The only work around we have found so far is to download a copy of the file locally and then open it from the Hub local drive.

We are in the same O365/ADFS federated login config as the first poster.

Same problem here. Initial Login is working, but we have to login in every single app again. :(

I can confirm that this works really well.  There's still one or two extra clicks involved with OneDrive, but the other apps (even the MS Portal) all use the SSO.  Huge improvement.  Yuge!

Glad to hear it is working for you. Are your accounts on Office 365 and using federated login with ADFS? Ours are and I'm trying to figure out if that is some edge case blocker keeping it from working on ours or if the in place upgrade to 1703 got borked somehow and I should just block time to do a hard reset and setup again on it.

Hi Miles,

Our accounts are on premise and federated to O365.

Hi,

Same problem after upgrading to 1703. Users are synced to O365 but no ADFS. We have the same issue with a cloud only account. If you have any updates on this please leave a massage.

We resolved this by restting the Surface Hub and running through setup again using a local admin only. The first time we did the reset, we domain joined it again and it still blocked acess. I assume this is because we sync device data with ADFS as well as users.

Once we did a second in place reset with a local admin account, single sign on functions as expected.

So you didn't domain join it at all?

Correct. Thats not the fix we wanted, but with only two hubs so far it was managable for us to use a common account and our IT Teams password manager. I'm asuming it will get fixed at some point but there was more value in getting the feature working for our users right now.