SOLVED

Miracast issues

Copper Contributor

Dear community,

We are an organisation that manages about 30-40 Microsoft Surface Hubs. Currently we're facing an issue on One "84 Surface Hub that has been there for quite a long time. However you cannot wirelessly project to this surface hub, but it does try.

Our Surface Hubs are locally cabled and get their ethernet from Switches not through Wifi. Most of the Surface Hubs we have here do work by wirelessly projecting.

Our collegeaus work with HP G1 - G5 type laptops. I have excluded a number of things:

- G1 - G5 HP types do not work on this surface hub

- Surface Pro Tablet 4 does work

- It cannot be a driver issue because the other surface hubs do work with G1 - G5 types.

- I have tried using a clean installation (Windows10) instead of our Installation image but no luck.

- Switches, Accespoints and vlan has been configured right. They're set like all the other surface hubs.

- We have moved this Surface Hub to an other location in the building to see if we can wireless connect to it. Strange enough that did work.

The network administrator checked the Switches, Accespoints and if it's set on the correct vlan, but he did not found anything strange compared to the others.

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Fouad_026 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello @Fouad_026 

It mainly depends on how the connection is established, by Miracast Wi-Fi Direct (Wi-Di) or Miracast over Infrastructure (InfraCast). Both connections start in the same way, the Surface Hub will broadcast a Miracast beacon over a hidden SSID which the laptop will pick up and display nearby devices. Wi-Fi direct will be attempted, then the host name and friendly name will be queried for the IP address. If a connection is possible and the prerequisites listed here are met, InfraCast will be attempted. If not possible, it will fall back to Wi-Di.

I suspect the issue with that device is the radio congestion in the area. You can use an app to check the Wi-Fi channels used then configure the device (Settings-Surface Hub-Projection-change the channel) on the least used. Usually channel 36 is less used by the access points. Make sure to reboot the device after the change.

You can also check this article. If it doesn't help, please open a support case and we can look further into it.

Thanks,

Cezar

Hello Cezar,

I've already made a support ticket but none of the solutions helped I received helped. I also hve switches between several channels that was listed in the drop down menu and restarted the surface hub to check but that did not work either.

There are 2 other "55 surface hubs on the same floor that do work correctly. They're configured the same and they're a few meters away from each other.@Cezar Cretu 

@Fouad_026 

Can you try the channel 36? It's in the 5GHz spectrum and usually resolves it. 

Can you also PM me the case number so I can take a look?

Thank you,

Cezar

@Cezar CretuI did try 36 but others as well. Most of the Surface Hubs are on channel 36 in our organisation. But without any luck.

I have private messaged you about the case that is going on at Microsoft.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Fouad_026 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello @Fouad_026 

It mainly depends on how the connection is established, by Miracast Wi-Fi Direct (Wi-Di) or Miracast over Infrastructure (InfraCast). Both connections start in the same way, the Surface Hub will broadcast a Miracast beacon over a hidden SSID which the laptop will pick up and display nearby devices. Wi-Fi direct will be attempted, then the host name and friendly name will be queried for the IP address. If a connection is possible and the prerequisites listed here are met, InfraCast will be attempted. If not possible, it will fall back to Wi-Di.

I suspect the issue with that device is the radio congestion in the area. You can use an app to check the Wi-Fi channels used then configure the device (Settings-Surface Hub-Projection-change the channel) on the least used. Usually channel 36 is less used by the access points. Make sure to reboot the device after the change.

You can also check this article. If it doesn't help, please open a support case and we can look further into it.

Thanks,

Cezar

View solution in original post