Incorrect Timezone

Iron Contributor

Greetings,

We have a dozen plus Surface Hubs and we have the Timezones set to manual on several of them because as soon as we enable auto Timezone, it will switch to Eastern Timezone (We are in Central)

All the Hubs are on the same network and some will stay on Central when we pick auto, but a bunch of others switch to EST.  

Anybody seen that?  I thought maybe the mailbox accounts for these have EST selected but they all appear to be Central.

3 Replies
Hi Christopher. My understanding is that computers will determine timezones by various means, but one of them is their public IP address. Given that location services are restricted on Surface Hub to explicit use (such as in the Maps app), then it's possible it's using this method to determine timezone.

If the public IP address that you're being given for the network those particular Hubs are on resolves to a location in an Eastern timezone, there's a good chance it'll automatically switch over. For example, my iPhone in the UK resolves it's public data IP to London, even though I live about 130 miles away! Thankfully still the same country :grinning_face_with_sweat:

There's various websites you can use to see where an IP resolves it's location to.

If the time zone is set correctly on the Surface Hub (Settings - Time and language - Time and Date), make sure the "set time zone automatically" is not enabled.

If the devices are domain joined, these will use the NTP server on the network. Otherwise time.windows.com 

It's weird as we have them all set to CST and on the same network and some are off by an hour.  We just set them to manual timezone for now.