Hub 2s - MS Teams Chat ?

Copper Contributor

Our teams love to use the video functionality within Microsoft Teams on the hub, but they would really like the option to be able to utilize the chat. When in a teams meeting on the hub, how do we access the chat also? Granted, when a message comes into the chat it puts a very tiny display of the message itself at the top of the screen, but people would like to be able to see static display on the hub without hunting for it. Where can we find this chat?

5 Replies

Hello @Micelf,

As of now, this is by design and chat is not available on the Surface Hub Teams client, taking into consideration the scope of the device. However, if this is something that you need, I suggest using the Feedback Hub app to provide your feedback with the team. They are constantly monitoring these requests and will take it into consideration for future developments

Thank you,

Cezar

This design decision is very difficult to understand.

I just used a Surface Hub 2S for a Teams meeting the first time today, and was mystified that chat was neither visible by default nor available in a menu. It certainly makes this very expensive device feel like a second-class peripheral, especially considering that attendees joining remotely might be more inclined to type in chat rather than chiming in vocally / over audio. It also excludes people from fully participating if they can only contribute via chat.

Please reconsider this decision.

Hello,

The decision is based on how users should use the Surface Hub which is to participate in a audio-video meeting either as a presenter or participant. Since the Surface Hub is a shared device and Teams is logged on with a resource account, chat messages will come from the resource account which would confuse the other participants.
Also, since the device is usually at a distance from the participants, it would be hard to read the chat. For presenters, IM messages would be a distraction.
If you do want to participate over chat in a meeting, please consider using your laptop so that participants are aware who is sending the message.
Alternatively, you can sign in on Teams with your account on teams.microsoft.com using Edge on Surface Hub.
However, if you still believe this is should be reconsidered, please submit the request using the Feedback Hub app which is already installed on the Surface Hub.

Best regards,
Cezar

@Cezar Cretu 

I understand not wanting to present the Chat on screen by default, and even not necessarily wanting to allow typing into chat as a default mechanism on the Surface Hub... but to not even allow the option of displaying chat on the Surface Hub in the default Teams meeting experience feels like it significantly hobbles the device for no benefit whatsoever.

Not all in-room meeting attendees will have computers (with them or at all). While it's OK that a producer in-room is able to join the meeting via their computer and then share chat messages, it's also awkward and feels inequitable for a variety of reasons (lack of computer for some attendees, potential accommodations for hearing impaired attendees, lack of ability to use a computer depending on the space and use case, etc.).

I'll submit feedback via the Feedback Hub on my device as soon as I'm able, but my experience with submitting feedback through such mechanisms is that they rarely get attention to the degree that having an internal advocate might, and never get an actual response. It definitely feels like sending messages into the void. If Microsoft is offering this device as a way to help create an equitable hybrid meeting experience for in-person and remote users of varying tech and physical capabilities, I would encourage you (and others) to advocate for the availability of these features as well.

Thanks

Hello @jrbpt,

Thank you for your answer. I do see your point and these are valid arguments.

Unfortunately, the Surface Hub Teams app is not managed by the Surface Hub team and I cannot help further. However, you can open a case with the Teams team and provide the feedback on how this impacts your users. 

Also, I can assure you that all Feedback Hub app requests are being analyzed by the respective Product Group team, it is the most efficient channel to reach the decision-making team. It's important to understand that changes based on feedback need to consider how this would affect all customers as some might have different requirements for a successful meeting. Nevertheless, your feedback is not ignored, it's actually the basis for every product change.

Thank you,

Cezar