SOLVED

How many concurrent sessions are allowed for whiteboarding?

Copper Contributor

Hello all,

I have a question how many concurrent sessions (or users) are allowed for white boading on Surface Hub.

In addition, Is there any public information regarding this question? 

Best Regards,

Sachiko

5 Replies
best response confirmed by Sachiko Okano (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi Sachiko

As far as I can see, there is no public documentation that explicitly states the limit for the number of users that can join a collaboration session in Whiteboard.

Given that the current version only supports Surface Hub, I’m doubtful anyone would be able to reach its theoretical limit anyway! We’ve managed to get to 4 in a single session before, and that was just for testing purposes.

With the new app in a preview I imagine this may be higher with laptops joining the session.

While I have no actual idea how they made it, common sense suggests they may use a typical 1 byte integer for participants, so a theoretical maximum of 255 is likely.

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for my delayed reply.

I really appreciate for your answer!

Best Regards,

Sachiko

I know your post was 9 months ago, but I was googling around for the same answer and came across your post. 

We are about to do a test with ~25 participants.  Will report back on how it goes. 

So we had 24 people join the whiteboard session from their laptops and we also had the whiteboard app up on our surface hub. The surface hub handled it like a champ, as expected.  Everyone was able to join from their laptops, but it was a bit chaotic as everyone tested around with the different features.  Once they got their giggles out of the way with adding images and using the glitter pens, the session held up without issue.  All in all, I would say it was a successful test. 

Thanks for testing this Craig and letting us know! Glad to hear it went well :)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Sachiko Okano (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi Sachiko

As far as I can see, there is no public documentation that explicitly states the limit for the number of users that can join a collaboration session in Whiteboard.

Given that the current version only supports Surface Hub, I’m doubtful anyone would be able to reach its theoretical limit anyway! We’ve managed to get to 4 in a single session before, and that was just for testing purposes.

With the new app in a preview I imagine this may be higher with laptops joining the session.

While I have no actual idea how they made it, common sense suggests they may use a typical 1 byte integer for participants, so a theoretical maximum of 255 is likely.

View solution in original post