Cannot reset surface hub

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have an issue recently occur with one of our surface hubs at the place I work.
Booting to the standard welcome screen we're greeted with the message: "Something went wrong. Please contact your support person"

From what I have researched this could be profile corruption on the device due to failed startups/too many restarts & the device requires resetting.

So, cycling the power switch several times then results in WinRE being accessed & the ability to reset the Surface Hub, however when going through the reset process we are then greeted with: "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again"

Is this message likely down to BitLocker protection? If so we are likely missing the USB bitlocker key to unlock. If not how to we unlock the drive?

I don't seem able to access any Bios or boot options, so booting another windows recovery environment doesn't seem possible either.

Any help would be much appreciated... otherwise we now have a very expensive time telling device with no other functionality :\

Mark P

1 Reply

May be too late, though, figured I'd chyme in.

It can be a little tricky to get it right, though, if you

1. Toggle off, then on
  2. Watch for the "Please Wait" message
  3. Then toggle off, then on

If you then see the "Please Wait" message sooner and below the Microsoft Surface Hub followed by the message about not starting correctly, you may be able to reset with out your BL key.

Otherwise, if you have a warranty you should be able to open a case and get a replacement drive.

Cheers

Travis