SOLVED

Are there going to be any new feature updates to the Surface Hub?

Silver Contributor

Are there going to be any big feature updates to the Surface Hub?  Outside of some monthly security updates, I haven't seen any big changes.  I know Microsoft was going to not do feature updates to Windows 10 Teams like they used to and do for other versions of Windows 10 but a few new features might be nice like SfB recording?  And other stuff?

9 Replies

Yes!

Microsoft Teams support is coming pretty soon, then after that I'm fairly sure we'll see a more full experience for Microsoft Whiteboard as it comes out of preview later in summer.

Teams supports Cloud recording, so you're covered from there.

Thanks @Steven Collier!  I hope more features come as well.

best response confirmed by Jeffrey Allen (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Further to this, Microsoft's whole approach is to redo the Surface Hub OS from the ground up. Rather than focus on bringing each feature update, they've instead been working on C-Shell (Composable Shell). This would allow features that are related, such as the Start Menu, to only require one lot of coding but to work across different device families. This is part of the Core OS work happening in the background. There's been plenty of rumours about this online.

This approach is wise overall though, as it means they can essentially start running Surface Hub on Windows 10 Enterprise (so it'll get feature updates normally without needed to be rebuilt each time for Windows 10 Team) and then they'll just drop the Surface Hub C-Shell on top for these devices.

The C-Shell for Surface Hub is codenamed 'Aruba'. We've already seen what this looks like with the Surface Hub 2 reveal, though it looks like the delay to 2019 is due to alot of work still needing to be completed on it.

For now, I believe that Microsoft are looking to bring some feature updates to the Surface Hub very soon, still under Windows 10 Team 1703 (Creators Update), but packaged in with the monthly Cumulative Updates. As Steven has said, one of these will be Teams integration, but we also have the release into GA of the new Microsoft Whiteboard app, plus a few other things that have been long requested that I've heard about (but am not at liberty to say!).

Keep an eye on the administrators guide as you'll start to notice things crop up over the next couple of months I'm sure. A new pre-release feature was added just a few days ago.

Thanks @Daniel Hudson for the information on this and pointing out the section of the admin guide for feature releases.  I look forward to seeing some of these additions.  Wonder if Teams will work side-by-side with SfB when it comes out?

Indeed it will, and it'll even identify where it originated from (Teams of SfB) if the concept from the Skype Room Systems interface is to be believed.

See my post here for more info.

I was using the native Teams on the Hub last week at InfoComm (the HDD was kindly lent to us from Microsoft) so we showcased the Hub in Teams meetings. Worked really well, same workflow as you are used to with SfB today,
Looking forward to testing out Teams on the Hub.
By the looks of it you can now install Teams in preview form from the MS Store on the Surface Hub. However, you need to be running an Insider build on the Surface Hub itself.

Thanks @Daniel Hudson, might explain why the Team crashes after I installed it because I'm not on the Insider's Build.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jeffrey Allen (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Further to this, Microsoft's whole approach is to redo the Surface Hub OS from the ground up. Rather than focus on bringing each feature update, they've instead been working on C-Shell (Composable Shell). This would allow features that are related, such as the Start Menu, to only require one lot of coding but to work across different device families. This is part of the Core OS work happening in the background. There's been plenty of rumours about this online.

This approach is wise overall though, as it means they can essentially start running Surface Hub on Windows 10 Enterprise (so it'll get feature updates normally without needed to be rebuilt each time for Windows 10 Team) and then they'll just drop the Surface Hub C-Shell on top for these devices.

The C-Shell for Surface Hub is codenamed 'Aruba'. We've already seen what this looks like with the Surface Hub 2 reveal, though it looks like the delay to 2019 is due to alot of work still needing to be completed on it.

For now, I believe that Microsoft are looking to bring some feature updates to the Surface Hub very soon, still under Windows 10 Team 1703 (Creators Update), but packaged in with the monthly Cumulative Updates. As Steven has said, one of these will be Teams integration, but we also have the release into GA of the new Microsoft Whiteboard app, plus a few other things that have been long requested that I've heard about (but am not at liberty to say!).

Keep an eye on the administrators guide as you'll start to notice things crop up over the next couple of months I'm sure. A new pre-release feature was added just a few days ago.

View solution in original post