Any idea on how to use Team's video chat w/ Surface Hub?

Brass Contributor

I work on a highly collaborative, yet dispersed team.  We have a Surface hub at one location that we use for all our daily standup meetings.  I would love to be able to switch to Microsoft Teams for our calls, however I can't figure out how to best "join" the meeting from the Hub.  Anyone have ideas? 

Thanks,

Derek

11 Replies
This isn't possible yet, as the Surface Hub runs a cut down version of Windows 10 called (funnily enough) "Windows 10 Team" which can't run x86 apps.
Until the Skype for Business functionality built into the Hub allows the joining of Teams calls, or a Teams "Modern" app appears on the Windows Store we won't have that type of functionality.
It's definitely something to put on the UserVoice site for Teams though.

I noticed in Modern Workplace Season 3 Episode 8 that there was a Surface Hub running what looks like Microsoft Teams and Cortana integration.  It is when the main presenter is talking to one of the Microsoft Envisioning Team members at 17:55 minutes into the episode.  Gives me hope they are launching Teams as a UWP App in the App Store.  Also at the product launch event for Surface Laptop Microsoft annouced Microst Education and a new version of Windows 10 that is launching and will be store only apps allowed, no executibles.  They annouced Office 365 apps to be launched in the Windows Store soon.  The Education part of microsoft also allows access to Teams so if the OS, Windows 10 S is store mode only and the education space has office 365 and teams there will have to be an app.

I am totally sure, this will happen pretty soon. No matter what MS claims, the future of SkypeForBusiness is to merge with Teams as fast as possible.

Slack, Spark and all the others are already there and MS is already late to the game.

Expect something very soon IMHO.

Derek,  I hope Microsoft does come up with a Teams App for the Surface Hub especially now that they are going to replace SfB with Teams otherwise, the Hub will become worthless.  Microsoft, if you are listening, please release a Teams App for the Surface Hub soon!!!!!

Thank you, @Jeffrey Allen for your feedback.  Surface Hub support is on our backlog and we've been working on this.  Please submit this feedback also to User Voice so you can vote up this feature; user feedback is a big factor in our feature prioritization.  Thank you!

Hi Derek, it is possible to run a full Teams experience on your Hubs using your Office 365 credentials in the Edge browser. This will include conducting meetings from your Hub. Please see a demonstration of this in my video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEwQaSNuJBw&t=5s Hope this helps =)! Nydia

Hi Jeffrey, 

please keep in mind that we are not replacing, discontinuing, or stopping support for Skype any time soon. We have announced that most of the innovation will come via Teams. Surface Hub today is able to adapt to customers' needs via the native Skype app, or the Teams app via the Edge browser.

Thank you, 

Nydia

Hi Derek, everyone

I posted about this on the Teams community back in November. It's currently slated for release during Q2 2018, though that could have changed since:

Check out this session from Ignite: https://myignite.microsoft.com/videos/53581

11:30-17:30 talks about Teams in Skype Room Systems and Surface Hub!

Thanks @Nydia Cavazos!  This must be a recent update to the web version of Teams.

Hi Jeffrey, 

it is not recent. Teams has been available in Hub via the Edge browser for as long as I can remember, Teams was simply not as popular back then.

I tried it once when we got the Surface Hub and the video and audio piece wasn't included as it would ask me to download to computer but obviously there isn't an app yet for it for the Hub!