Surface 3 pen responsiveness kinda lousy?

Copper Contributor
Hello! I’m new to the Surface. I recently bought a used Surface 3 (not Pro) to use as a portable drawing tablet. In general, it works great, if a bit slow due to the age of that version. But I’m finding that even after a fresh reinstall of Windows 10, the pen responsiveness with the Surface Pen is just plain lousy. There’s a little more latency than I’m used to coming from my Wacom Cintiq, but even more than that is just the fact that the Surface doesn’t even seem to start drawing the stroke until I’m pushing at maybe 20% pressure, which is not great for drawing. I expected far more sensitivity to sketchy strokes. The same applies to note taking - I can’t really form any words that look anything like my actual handwriting.

I’ve tried the registry hacks to change the responsiveness, but none of them have accomplished anything noticeable. I’ve downloaded the Surface app and changed the sensitivity level, but all that seems to do is alter the general heaviness of the stroke after that initial pressure threshold has been reached. Is this just a common experience with the Surface 3? Or not? Faulty pen, perhaps? Are other Surface units known to be much better for drawing?
0 Replies