3840 x 2160 on monitor with Surface 3 and dock

Copper Contributor

Hi

I have a new HP 4k printer, and am trying to connect it in 4k (3840x2160) mode to my Microsoft Surface 3 docking station. I have previously connected the Surface and dock to an Iiyama monitor, and seen it running successfully in full 3840x2160 mode, so I know the laptop can support it.

I have downloaded and installed the latest HP driver for the monitor, but from reviewing display settings the highest resolution available is 2640x1440 (at 60Hz).

From discussions on the online HP community, specifically mentioning the capacity of the version of displayport on my surface 3 (I believe v1.1) I have a suspicion that I may need to get into 30Hz mode to be able to get full 3840x2160 resolution. As I am more interested in display of information than fast video I believe this would be worth trying.

The problem I have is that the only visible options available via the video driver for the monitor are for 60Hz – there are no options visible to allow me to drop down into 30Hz mode, and thereby make use of a higher resolution than is apparently available at 60Hz.

I have posed the question on the HP community asking whether a generic 4k video driver might support 30Hz in 3840x2160 mode, but so far no-one has answered.

Any ideas?

2 Replies

Apologies for (hopefully obvious) typo in the first line - "I have a new HP 4k printer" - Monitor, not printer.

Did you find the answer? I have a new monitor at 3840 using MS docking station. It seems like the docking station is limited to1920 only. I'm thinking I need to purchase an USB-C to HDMI cable to reach the 3400 to 3800 resolution. I have the Surface Book 3 as well.