SOLVED

Would it be a good idea to use different "layouts" in an app?

Iron Contributor

Hi team,

is it a good idea to use multiple, dual-screen-specific layouts in one app?

For example:

- The map page is just an extended canvas

- The settings page is a two pane layout

- etc

Or should I only use the device-specific layout at the root view?

2 Replies
best response confirmed by tscholze (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Hey @tscholze - I think it's 100% fine to use multiple patterns if the UX requires it. Sometimes this isn't necessary - Microsoft Teams is almost exclusively a "list detail" style app, and Excel is mostly "extended canvas" - but PowerPoint is a bit of a mix of "list detail" with "companion pane" elements. 

I tend to think of each view like it's a responsive web page - how should it look on a regular phone, on a foldable device, and on a tablet - and then think of how the elements should move/change/resize and pick the pattern that best matches.

One of your examples is a good one: settings views would almost always make sense as "list detail", no matter what UX/design pattern is best for the main app function.

Nice, thanks for the examples! :)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by tscholze (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Hey @tscholze - I think it's 100% fine to use multiple patterns if the UX requires it. Sometimes this isn't necessary - Microsoft Teams is almost exclusively a "list detail" style app, and Excel is mostly "extended canvas" - but PowerPoint is a bit of a mix of "list detail" with "companion pane" elements. 

I tend to think of each view like it's a responsive web page - how should it look on a regular phone, on a foldable device, and on a tablet - and then think of how the elements should move/change/resize and pick the pattern that best matches.

One of your examples is a good one: settings views would almost always make sense as "list detail", no matter what UX/design pattern is best for the main app function.

View solution in original post