Let us know your feedback on the Surface Duo SDK Preview for developers

Microsoft

Hi awesome Android Developers,

We would love to hear your feedback on Surface Duo SDK Preview for developers, feel free to reach out to us here

1 Reply

Hi community,

I want to share my feedback that I already sent earlier the week to the open minded PMs openly with this great community.

Questions

1. What does the team plan to do with the Xamarin sample GitHub repository? Is it a good idea to open issues or to create pull requests or will be there some major code update that I should wait until it’s more stable?
  2. What features are currently missing and will be added in the future?
  3. If 2.) Do you have any schedule for new features?
  4. Is there any need to optimize an app for “landscape” on the Surface Duo? The spanned screen in portrait is huge as no other screen now. What would be a use case for landscape mode?

Wishes

Please add comments to the sample source, it would be great if the team could add comments to the samples they provided. For example, for the FormWindow.cs or in a more abstract way on how to structure a dual-screen ready app. It is not that easy to get all assumptions and coherences correct by only viewing that bunch of code. For example, is there a reason why the TwoPaneView does not take two content pages as children but just content views?

Please add the Xamarin.Forms helper for the new features, like FormsWindow, TwoPaneView or the Hinge and Layout Service to the Xamarin.Forms core or to your Essentials. This would be a great point to motivate more developers to join the dual-screen-side of the mobile app force if they could easily implement this feature without building such “low level” helper.

@Members

Please feel free to give me feedback, too. What do you think? What should we expect from the SDK?  Should it be more "low level" like now or should it provide highly abstracted services and helpers to work with on Activity / ContentPage level?