Default behavior for Dual Screen Seem (Hinge GAP)

Copper Contributor

When an app is spanned across two screens, there is going to be a seam — the space between the two screens. This is a byproduct of making a dual-screen device. This section talks about some of the ideas and techniques you might consider to make your app work with the seam.

By default Display driver must skip (should not render behind seem) the content behind the hinge GAP.  It should be continuous across screens. In fact the app developer should not be even aware of the seem. It should see as one continuous screen.  It enables all web sites and apps usable by default. If any app or site wants to do differently to take advantage of dual screens then they use your API to handle it. This is a very simple approach and I think somebody at Microsoft screwed it up up by opting to ask every developer in the world to optimize their content. This will never happen. Duo will fail if not fixed. If I don't get this behavior in the next DUO update I will return my DUO and start a campaign to return all duo owners.

I'm Software Architect love this duo and don't want it to fail. This is the only feature missing in this duo. I use only 3 apps on this. Edge, Chrome and Remote Desktop. All three are hiding content behind seem. This default behavior would have made made all these three apps usable. 

13 Replies

Thanks for the feedback, the team has taken it on board. 

I totally agree with you! I'm from Germany and actually testing the device. Its great but the gap behind the hinge makes it absolute unusable for me to take advantage of a maximized app. When reading an article on the web in horizontal maximized mode, sometimes hole words are hidden.

Please let us users chose an "hinge hide mode" - maybe per app as an compatibility feature.
Yes, make, this an option in the settings. But I would suggest to make Hiding the gap Default
Best would be to stick close to multiple screen behavior in Microsoft Windows for PC. In Microsoft Windows I use multiple screens all the time and I have never troubles with a gap.
When I bought my Surface Duo I expected the multiple screens to work just as they do in Microsoft Windows.

@Suresh_Nagappa 

Yes. This. So much.

I'm also a dev and love the duo. But requiring all app developers to code for the screen gap is not a good default until there is a big consumer base for dual screen devices like the duo. Microsoft needs to assume that most apps will not support spanned mode, and provide accessibility options that compensate for the lack of dual screen support in the app. 

Lead by example, and show us all the power of dual screens in as many contexts as possible.

Microsoft should go the distance if they want to make this dual screen device as useful as I believe it can be. I recommend adding UI options like splitting the app in different places besides the middle, and resizing. Many apps have a large side bar, but it doesn't take up half the screen. On the duo, we should want to move those things to the other screen.

Another compatibility mode option would be to run two instances of the app at once. Could cause weird issues, but I actually use CloneApp so I can have gmail open with two different accounts, or different emails.

I would also like to see quad app support...

Yes. This really turns me off. I’m thinking of returning my Duo because of this.

Hidden content behind the hinge is just beyond me. Can’t believe Microsoft software engineers are so clueless :downcast_face_with_sweat:
It's almost one year passed. How is it going??
The screen gap is extremely aggravating for users of a variety of applications, from gaming to line-of-business applications. The default behavior should be that apps running across both screens experience no discontinuity.

I have just purchased a brand new Surface Duo 2, just two days ago. I am now ready to return it due to this very issue. Thanks for highlighting. @Suresh_Nagappa 

Just try to read a PDF file full screen to benefit from the Surface Duo real estate. Unusable, Lines are lost in the middle of the document.

Agree, that's why I changed to the Galaxy Fold 4. While I think the Surface Duo (2) is a much better device. I will go back to Surface Duo as soon as this issue is solved in a new version of the Duo.

@Craig_Dunn

hey, is the team working to get Android 13 or 14 on the duo2 before eol?

THX!