App that uses due Surface Duo SDK crashes on ChromeBooks during startup

Iron Contributor

Hi team,

i wanna ask if someone of you have the same problem.

My app uses the current version of the Xamarin.Forms Surface Duo SDK. It runs great on the emulator and on real devices like a Pixel 3.

But on a Chromebook it gets installed, but crashes / quits during startup.

I tested it the the Play Store version of the app.

6 Replies

@tscholze thanks for letting us know -- interesting that it works on the Pixel 3. Right now, I'm not sure what the issue could be, since you've obviously checking for dual-screen before using the device-specific APIs (or it wouldn't be working on other devices). We'll have to test/investigate.

@Craig_Dunn 

Just a little bit off-topic question. Your link about checking if it runs on a dual screen device provides examples for Android native and Xamarin.

Could you please tell me how to solve this in Xamarin.Forms? Or should I use the Android Xamarin as a "platform-specific" implementations?

@tscholze Is it possible to grab a logcat output from the chrome book?

After it crashes you can run
adb logcat -d | pbcopy

And then copy that to a txt file. 

Hi @ShaneNeuville sorry for the delay.

Do you mean to execute this piped command on the ChromeBook itself? If yes, there is no adb installed.

Just as a follow up: Using the latest ChromeOS, I see the App Chrome (close, minimize) buttons but the app still is purely white.

@tscholze TBH I haven't played with a Chrome Book much so I'm not sure the procedure here.

Can you plug it into your desktop like any other android device?

Does this give any useful details about the crash?
https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/3293821?hl=en

Hi @ShaneNeuville,

sorry for the late reponse.

I found neither an error in the log nor a way to connect the ChromeBook to my Visual Studio. I'm not a Android or ChromeOS user that's why I have not enough time to dig into all of this but I opened some questions on Reddit - maybe there will be some help or developer tips regarding to this topic.