Windows Hello & External 3D Webcams

Copper Contributor

My Surface Book spends much of its time running "lid-closed" while connected (through a Surface Dock) to a pair of 34" LG monitors.

Of course, that means that I can't use the Surface Book's depth-sensing camera for Windows Hello logins -- and Windows Hello is something that I REALLY like about Windows 10 and the Surface Book!

No problem, I thought, since there are a few external 3D webcams on the market that support Windows Hello.  So I purchased a Creative BlasterX Senz3D webcam for this purpose. This should allow me to mount a 3D webcam atop one of my monitors and keep my Windows Hello login.   WRONG!!!

Unfortunately, the Windows Hello Settings does NOT provide the ability to choose a specific webcam.  It exclusively uses the built-in webcam on the Surface Book, meaning Windows Hello is looking at a black picture from the closed lid of the Surface Book at login time.

Is a fix in the works for this?

At the very least, the Windows Hello Settings should be permit switching between available video sources.  An even better solution would be the ability to specify a separate webcam when running "lid open" vs "lid closed" or "Docked" vs "Undocked".

0 Replies