Original Surface Book Hibernate Chaos

Copper Contributor

Shortly after KB5005033 was installed, I began seeing the 

“Slide to shut down your PC”

screen when I tried to hibernate from the power button. Had never seen that screen before. Flashed for an instant, and then it just crashed - no crash dump, nothing in the logs, just gone. Took several long presses of the power button to recover, and the log just said "The previous system shutdown was unexpected." Sometimes it added "The WinFsp.Launcher service terminated unexpectedly" when a reboot attempt failed.

At first, if I chose hibernate from the Win->Power->Hibernate menu it hibernated properly. After a few days that began crashing too. If I set the power button to "Sleep" or "Do Nothing", it always shut down on a button press, but instantly, no colored startup screen showing the steps. 

I checked my power config everywhere including RegEdit, and it is correct. I have all the current drivers. I uninstalled 5005033. It apparently reinstalled 5004237 from July in the process. That seemed to fix hibernation for a couple of days - but soon it was back to crashing. 

I've given up on hibernation, disabled it with "powercfg -hibernate off", and set all the power config choices to act like a phone - sleep quickly when not plugged in, never hibernate or shut down.

Despite the power button being configured to sleep, pressing it while running shuts the system down. BUT instead of instant black and no feedback, it calls up the colored startup/update screen and lists all the steps in shutting down! I don't remember ever seeing that on this machine! 

For several days I could put it to sleep from the TouchMe app, but that stopped working last night. Now I just have to wait for it to timeout by itself. I fear that is the beginning of yet another evolving failure. 

There are tons of details in the original post at: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/526434/did-kb5005033-break-my-surface-book-hibern...

But I'm not convinced any of the logged errors or speculations are helpful. The comments keep saying I should post here, so...  

Can I be the only one who sees this? 

2 Replies
> For several days I could put it to sleep from the TouchMe app, but that stopped working last night. Now I just have to wait for it to timeout by itself. I fear that is the beginning of yet another evolving failure.

I found that was somehow due to KB5005033 having been installed again, waiting for a restart. After the restart TouchMe can sleep it again.
> After the restart TouchMe can sleep it again.

For a few days. And then it is ignored again. Needs a restart to work again. At least is seems pressing the power button now sleeps instead of shutting it down.