SOLVED

Calling all #HumansofIT - Share your story!

Microsoft

Welcome to the Humans of IT Community! We're thrilled that you've joined us :)

We want to hear YOUR story as Humans of IT:

- How did you get started in tech? (yes devs, we're looking at you too!)

- How are you using technology for the good of humanity?

- What's your #TechSuperpower? Is it your ability to innovate, to see beyond the status quo and to keep pushing for better solutions to make this world a better place for all humanity?

Leave a comment, and/or if you're feeling extra inspired to document your full story, apply here to be featured as a (Super)Human of IT in this space or on our blog!

13 Replies
I want only to help the poor
best response confirmed by Herbie D (Brass Contributor)
Solution
I build remote communities that foster a culture of mutual learning and sharing, using Microsoft 365 and social media.
I’ve also been told I am a support to people facing personal struggles while they work in the tech industry.
30+ years ago I was injured in an on the job accident while working in food service. I had invested a good deal of time 10+ years and education to become well versed in all types of culinary preparation. Knowing my truly physical days were past now, my need to provide for my family required a new vocation. I applied myself to learn all I could related to technology. Microsoft applications and operating systems have supplied the bulk of my knowledge, supplemented by a healthy dose of networking and hardware infrastructure. Eventually my journey has taken me to find employment with the company I now serve. Insurance is a combined service and financial industry which provides relief to claimants at some of their most vulnerable points in life. As a systems administrator my customer base is the people who write policies and satisfy client requests for claims satisfaction. In some small way, I feel honored to assist my fellow employees when our policy holders reach out in time of need. Disasters like; Automobile accidents, House fires, property damage from flood, wind, snow, and ice. Reliable Microsoft server operating systems and applications play an important role in providing premium customer service to our insured through the use of technology by our staff. I play only a small part but am grateful to have the opportunity to serve our customers as part of a team.

@ShonaBang 

I got into IT by accident. My sister worked in IT and they had an opening for a PM. I came in and interviewed for the PM position and walked out with an offer for an entry level systems engineer position. I accepted the position and knew right away, IT was for me! 

I love this story! Thank you for sharing :)
Wow congratulations! :) How's your experience been thus far? Are you enjoying the role and was it what you expected?

@ShonaBang 

- How did you get started in tech? (yes devs, we're looking at you too!)

I've always been a nerd. I tinkered with PCs as a kid and never really stopped. Once the internet came around I tinkered with that too. My first formal IT job was a database administrator at the tech institute I graduated from in 2005.

- How are you using technology for the good of humanity?

I work for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada and we strive to take advantage of the huge operational efficiencies that Microsoft 365  has to offer. The more IT infrastructure we can take off the hands of staff, the more time they can dedicate to serving kids, mentors, and their families. 

- What's your #TechSuperpower? 

I ask challenging questions. I help people see the division between the tools and what they think the tool will do for them so that we can ask the REAL questions that we are trying to address.

I started when I was 14 - building websites. I ended up in IT marketing and started off by making my first site on Dreamweaver 4.0! 

I love it! I wish I had been encouraged to get into IT much earlier. So far it is a great experience and I love the opportunity to always be learning.@ShonaBang 

Love that story! Indeed tech is such a powerful force for good - thrilled to see that you're harnessing the power of technology in your nonprofit organization! :)
So great to hear - it's never too late to start! :)

@ShonaBang Hello

I sent am abstract about a story that it seems interesting about an activity that I did this week.

When I started contributing inside Microsoft community as an MVP, I was thinking how I can empower others, I believe that as we share our knowledge as we are able to make a change in the world using technology,  I love programming, reading about new technologies like the cloud, AI any time, people can't understand why I want to learn always even in holidays, Science computing and technology is not a job, is a passion for me, I can stay beside the machine coding without feeling tired. 

When I started coding from 10 years ago, I was always the unique women inside a group of men that look at you like not a skilled person even it was oppositive. I was progressing in my career slowly because I was working in a male environment and every year they feel that you are a potential danger that will decide the technical solution in the company. But I decided to leave to Canada, and where I started again my walks in technologies but faster than before because I started talking in conferences, meeting expert and I forget that I'm a woman because I was the expert that will answer attendee questions. And this week I decided to do something different, I contributed to doing an hour of code twice in a school, and it was a beautiful experience, because, coaching children to start coding with Minecraft, for example, is really important to have more leaders in the future.

So great to hear all the amazing things you're doing in tech, and how you're making a conscious decision to GIVE BACK to the community with your tech superpowers! Keep it up :)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Herbie D (Brass Contributor)
Solution
I build remote communities that foster a culture of mutual learning and sharing, using Microsoft 365 and social media.
I’ve also been told I am a support to people facing personal struggles while they work in the tech industry.

View solution in original post