SOLVED

Trying to connect via ODBC. Can't find assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo'

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to use a third-party app to create a new database in one of my SQL Server instances and receive an error stating that it can't find assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo'.  I can find directories named 'Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo' in numerous places but the app can't seem to find it.  Any ideas?

2 SQL Server instances installed (one already there that came with the machine and Windows 10, and the other installed with the community addition of SQL Server 2019).

SQL Server browser agent, SQL Server Agent and SQL Server processes all running.

Hide instance property of instance is set to NO.

Installed components of SQL Server community 2019:
* Database Engine Services
* Client Tools Connectivity
* Client Tools Backwards Compatibility
* Client Tools SDK
* SQL Client Connectivitiy SDK

Installed components of Visual Studio Community 2019:
* ASP.NET and web development
* .NET desktop development
* Desktop development with C++
* Universal Windows Platform development

Thanx!

4 Replies

it can't find assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo'. 

@John_Carter56 , that's a .NET assembly and has nothing to do with ODBC.

It comes with SMO = Shared Management Objects and should be best installed in GAC.

Latest download I know is Microsoft® SQL Server® 2016 Service Pack 2 Feature Pack => ENU\x64\SharedManagementObjects.msi

@olafhelper Thanx for your reply.

You are correct that Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo has nothing to do with ODBC.

I'm pretty sure I've got the SMO installed as I find Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo.dll in a number of directories including the following:

* c:\windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL

* c:\windows Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL

* c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\SDK\Assemblies

I guess the app I'm using can't find the assembly so what can I do to set the environment so that it can find that assembly?  Since it is a DLL, is it a PATH thing or something else?

Best bet is to ask the support of the third-party app vendor, they should know how to fix.
best response confirmed by John_Carter56 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@olafhelper Thanx.  In my case, I had to download the correct version (in this case, SQL Server 2014 Feature Pack) of the Shared Management Objects (SharedManagementObjects.msi) and SQL system CLR types (SQLSysClrTypes.msi).

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by John_Carter56 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@olafhelper Thanx.  In my case, I had to download the correct version (in this case, SQL Server 2014 Feature Pack) of the Shared Management Objects (SharedManagementObjects.msi) and SQL system CLR types (SQLSysClrTypes.msi).

View solution in original post