SQL Server 2019 on Ubuntu 18.04

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone,

I was able to install Developer preview of SQL Server 2019 on Ubuntu 18.04, and was using it smoothly for a week. Then, today I started receiving the following connection error while attempting sqlcmd:

Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server : TCP Provider: Error code 0x2746.
Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server : Client unable to establish connection.

I reinstalled mssql-server from scratch, ran the configuration utility, but cannot connect to the server.

Did anyone experience something similar?

2 Replies

Yes, I am experiencing the same issue.

I have tried reinstalling, as well as downgrading to a couple of past versions.

It started as soon as I installed the latest version this morning.

The reason why you are having issues with this is because SQL Server 2017/2019 packages meant for Ubuntu 16.04 have a dependency on OpenSSL version 1.0. While Ubuntu 18.04 ships with OpenSSL version 1.1. Until we get a package meant for Ubuntu 18.04, you can follow the steps in following blog to and create links to libssl.so and libcrypto.so for version 1.0 into /opt/mssql/lib path. 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SQL-Server/Installing-SQL-Server-2017-for-Linux-on-Ubuntu-18-... 

Once the appropriate links are created, the connectivity to SQL Server should work.