Reading REST Data from SQL Server

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

First question is this. A while ago I tested GitHub - geral2/SQL-APIConsumer: Database Project with generic procedures to consume API through GET... to add into SQL Server 2019 SE to be able to easily do rest calls. We are ready to move forward with what we did but I was wondering if this functionality has been included in SQL Server 2022 SE? If so we would use the standard product. Does anyone know if this functionality was rolled into SQL Server 2022 SE and if so a blog post we can go and read? Thanks.

My second question is this. Is this the best place to ask SQK Server questions now? We have used MSDN and Answers in the past. So I am just wondering where we should post our questions for SQL server now.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer us.

Best Regards 

Peter Jones.

3 Replies

Hi @PeterJones 

SQL Server 2022 SE

I assume you mean SQL Server 2022 Standard Edition (If not then please clarify).

> I was wondering if this functionality has been included in SQL Server 2022 SE?

The project mentioned that it fits "SQL Server 2016 and later versions", and SQL Server is backward compatibility application - This means that application which was developed for previous version which is still supported (SQL Server 2016 is supported), should work well with the current version.

Note that it does not mean that performance will be the same (usually by default performance are better in newer version as it uses new features and algorithm but this can work the opposite side as well). It means that command (queries) for example which fits version 2016 works on version 2022.

Therefore, I see no reason why this will be an an issue if you are using the same edition with newer version.

> Does anyone know if this functionality was rolled into SQL Server 2022 SE and if so a blog post we can go and read? Thanks.

I am not sure which functionality you speak about. The SQL-APIConsumer is not SQL Server feature but a simple application built in C#, which connect the server like any application that anyone develop. There is nothing internally in SQL Server related to this application. In fact, as much as I see, it is not even Microsoft project, but a application that was developed by Geraldo Diaz.

> My second question is this. Is this the best place to ask SQK Server questions now?

I assume that you mean "SQL Server questions".

Each forum will probably inform you that that forum is the best place to ask questions and the answer is usually that each person has his preferred community/forum and there is no specific system which is "best".

This website tchcommunity is own and managed by Microsoft teams. As much as I understand the moderators here are only Microsoft employees, so probably less supporters from the community use it. You have a few Microsoft MVPs (these are not Microsoft employees but experts volunteers from the community), which help other people here.

When select your place for supporting, check yourself parameters like: do you like the interface, who are the people that support, what is the response time for questions and how many questions stay open, do you have discussions or only answer, and more... 

> We have used MSDN and Answers in the past.

If by "Answers" you speak about this site: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

then as I see it, this is not the right place for SQL Server supporting or deep supporting on code. It is mostly a support place for home users about using the applications and not for developers, DBAs, or ITs.

The English forums of the MSDN system (which I loved the most) have been migrated to a new system at the Learn Docs QnA. The team that own the new system QnA is the same team that own the MSDN form and most of the supporters and moderators from the MSDN are helping in the new QnA system. The Moderators at the MSDN like in the new QnA are mostly xperts from the community usually selected by the product teams. For example, I am moderator at the MSDN since 2010 and I also moderator at the QnA system from the first day of the system (here I have no official role/permissions so naturally I come here to help but less). At the QnA system you can also find many of the product teams employees together with some Microsoft Moderators and many community experts like Microsoft MVPs.

Note that stackoverflow is also a known place where many experts and Microsoft product teams participate and support. Personally I do not like that system but this is a personal opinion while others love it more.

There are tens of forums with experts and in many of these Microsoft Product teams participates. This include Facebook groups and such. For example, I manage a group on Facebook together with someone who is from the Microsoft Data Platforms team.

The official Microsoft Docs website (https://docs.microsoft.com) directs users to use the QnA forum (https://docs.microsoft.com/answers) naturally.

> So I am just wondering where we should post our questions for SQL server now.

Again, this is up to you. Check what I wrote above and choose your place.

Have a great day

Hi @Ronen_Ariely,
thank you very much for getting back to me. I really appreciate that.

Sorry for being a while to reply but I have been very busy.

1. Thanks for letting me know that the features of that software have not been implemented in SQL Server 2022 SE. Yes, I meant Standard Edition. We are trying to make everything we do work on SE because that helps us keep our costs down. We are planning to make REST sources available in the products we are developing.

2. Yes, that was the answers link I mean. I was not active on MSDN for a while and then when I came back it had gone. I searched around and found Answers. But as you say, it's not the place hard core techs hang out. I could not figure out where MSDN went. That was the best place to be for the longest time. I will use Q&A from now on I guess.

I seem to have a profile there so I must have registered at some point.

3. Yes, I know stack overflow and others. But MSDN was always my go to place. I generally have very few questions I want to ask because we have not been doing "new" stuff on MSFT software for a long time. Nothing so new or complex that I have been asking any questions.

But...last year we decided we were going to "bite the bullet" and take the leap into "all things Azure". And as you know there is a LOT to learn when you take that leap. So we will have some questions now. We bought the MAP and CSP and plan to build an end to end BI solution for Business Central.

Azure has not been a "big deal" over here until relatively recently. There was a local company that had a very good market share for hosted machines and it was much cheaper than Azure. But MSFT are making in roads. Our main client moved to Azure from the other vendor and that was the "nudge" we needed to make our move as well.

So, nice to meet you, nice to be here. And thank you for your help.

I will be as efficient as possible in asking questions because I have done the "customer support" role myself as a young man and so I don't like asking questions I should find the answers to for myself.

Best Regards

Peter

Hi @PeterJones 

Please read carefully what I say and not what you want to hear, since you are quoting things I did not say!

Thanks for letting me know that the features of that software have not been implemented in SQL Server 2022 SE.

Where did I said this?!?

I explicitly said that "if you are using the same edition" and that "I am not sure which functionality you speak about"!

I could not figure out where MSDN went. 

Now you know :smile: 

It was officially moved to the QnA forums:

https://docs.microsoft.com/answers

I seem to have a profile there so I must have registered at some point.

It's the same profile used for all the Docs (the QnA forums team and the Docs team are working under the same leading), so maybe you registered in the past to a different activity.

Yes, I know stack overflow and others. But MSDN was always my go to place.

For me as well.

The MSDN was my favorit forum!

Tens time better community than any other place (in my opinion)

We bought the MAP and CSP...

I have no idea what you speak about.

You should always remember that we are not inside your head, and each combination of three characters probably have two or two hundreds meaning :lol: 

So, nice to meet you, nice to be here. And thank you for your help.

You are most welcome :stareyes: Nice to meet