Query from one Database and load to another Database

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

I am trying to query from one dataset in Azure and load data into a local database (Local instance on my computer) on my machine using SSMS. This is the code I have written the code as follows, but it's not working. Can someone tell me what should be the correct script?

Thanks. 

INSERT INTO [MYCOMPUTERNAME\DESTINATIONDATABASE].[DESTINATIONDATABASE].[DESTINATIONINSTANCE].[DESTINATIONTABLE]
SELECT *
FROM [abcd.database.windows.net].[SOURCEDATABASE].[DBO].[COURCETABLE]

6 Replies

but it's not working.  

@patwary8 , "not working" means what in detail? Have you setup & tested a linked server pointing to your Azure database?

Hi @patwary8 

your description is not clear to me. Please try to elaborate.

What is "[abcd.database.windows.net].[SOURCEDATABASE].[DBO].[COURCETABLE]"

Is this a linked server or you try to use a table in a remote server without even connect the server (which it is what seems you do and make no sense)?

In general, assuming I got what you need correctly, then you can use linked server and you can use SELECT from OPENROWSET for example.

Thanks Ronen_Ariely. I am trying to extract data from remote server (in Azure) and store that data on a local server on my computer. I tried to link these 2 servers, but it looks like I don't have the rigt to do that. Therefore, I want to retrieve data from Azure, store it on a table in my local server. Can you please suggest the script I need to fmollow in order to do that.
Thanks Olafhelper. I am trying to extract data from remote server (in Azure) and store that data on a local server on my computer. I tried to link these 2 servers, but it looks like I don't have the rigt to do that. Therefore, I want to retrieve data from Azure, store it on a table in my local server. Can you please suggest the script I need to fmollow in order to do that.

Hi @patwary8 ,

but it looks like I don't have the rigt to do that.

In order to read data from a database you need permission to read the data. If you can (success) execute a SELECT query and get the data from the same machine where your SQL Server on-premises is, then you can do the task. If you do not have the rights to do so, then how do you want to do it?!?

Therefore, I want to retrieve data from Azure

If you have the permission to read the data from the Azure SQL Database then as I already wrote before, the you can use SELECT from OPENROWSET for example.

Step 1: check that the local server has permission to use OPENROWSET (disable by default)

-- Open advance options
EXEC sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1
RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE
GO
-- check permission to run OPENROWSET
EXEC sp_configure 'ad hoc distributed queries'
GO
-- if above returns: Ad Hoc Distributed Queries	0	1	0	0
-- The you need to open permission on local server. Run the following if you want to do it
EXEC sp_configure 'ad hoc distributed queries', 1
RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE
GO

Now you can run OPENROWSET and using a simple connection string you can connect to any database like any application do.

To connect Azure SQL Database you need:

Step 2: Open firewall to the Azure SQL Database -> check that you can use SSMS to connect the Azure SQL database

Now go back to the on-premises server

Step 3: use the following query to read the data from a table in the Azure SQL Database (from the local on-premises SQL Server)

SELECT c.*
FROM OPENROWSET(
    'MSOLEDBSQL'
    , 'Server=tcp:Use-Azure-SQL-Server-name.database.windows.net,1433;Database=Use-Database-Name-Full;UID=Use-username;Pwd=Use-password;'
    , 'select * from Dimension.City;'
    ) c;
GO

That's all :)

lets use the database "WideWorldImportersDW-Full" in the Azure SQL database for the test.

Connect the local on-premises server and create new database

CREATE DATABASE patwary8
GO

USE patwary8
GO

Option 1: let's directly create new table on premises using SELECT INTO FROM the Azure Database (remember the steps to allow OPENROWSET first as explained above)

SELECT * INTO newtable
FROM OPENROWSET(
    'MSOLEDBSQL'
    , 'Server=tcp:server-name.database.windows.net,1433;Database=WideWorldImportersDW-Full;UID=UserName;Pwd=password;'
    ) c;
GO
-- (116295 rows affected)

Option 2: create new table with the same structure as the remote table for the test and then INSERT the remote data

CREATE TABLE [City](
	[City Key] [int] NOT NULL,
	[WWI City ID] [int] NOT NULL,
	[City] [nvarchar](50) NOT NULL,
	[State Province] [nvarchar](50) NOT NULL,
	[Country] [nvarchar](60) NOT NULL,
	[Continent] [nvarchar](30) NOT NULL,
	[Sales Territory] [nvarchar](50) NOT NULL,
	[Region] [nvarchar](30) NOT NULL,
	[Subregion] [nvarchar](30) NOT NULL,
	[Location] [geography] NULL,
	[Latest Recorded Population] [bigint] NOT NULL,
	[Valid From] [datetime2](7) NOT NULL,
	[Valid To] [datetime2](7) NOT NULL,
	[Lineage Key] [int] NOT NULL,
 CONSTRAINT [PK_Dimension_City] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED ([City Key] ASC)
) ON [PRIMARY] TEXTIMAGE_ON [PRIMARY]
GO

And now we can read the data from the Azure SQL Database from the local server using OPENROWSET and INSERT the data to the local table (remember the steps to allow OPENROWSET first as explained above)

insert dbo.City
SELECT c.*
FROM OPENROWSET(
    'MSOLEDBSQL'
    , 'Server=tcp:server-name.database.windows.net,1433;Database=WideWorldImportersDW-Full;UID=UserName;Pwd=password;'
    ) c;
GO

Thanks Ronen_Ariely. FYI I can read data from Azure, which means I have read only access. I tried to link the server, but my permission on Azure restricts me to do that.
Looks like you have described the alternate procedure very well and I should be able to connect and achieve what I want. I will try it today.