SOLVED

ODBCAD isn't showing database instances when trying to create DSN

Copper Contributor

I've got the community edition of SQL Server 2019 installed.  I'm trying to create a DSN using ODBCAD (both 32 and 64).  Although I've got two database instances installed (one already there that came with the machine and Windows 10 (I assume), and the other installed with the community addition of SQL Server 2019), I do not see either of those instances when I try to add a User or System DSN using any SQL Server driver (ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server, SQL Server, and SQL Server Native Client 11.0).

SQL Server browser agent, SQL Server Agent and SQL Server processes all running.

Hide instance property of instance is set to NO.

Installed components of SQL Server 2019:
* Database Engine Services
* Client Tools Connectivity
* Client Tools Backwards Compatibility
* Client Tools SDK
* SQL Client Connectivitiy SDK

Installed components of Visual Studio Community 2019:
* ASP.NET and web development
* .NET desktop development
* Desktop development with C++
* Universal Windows Platform development

Anybody got any idea of what is going on?

Thanx!

4 Replies

I do not see either of those instances

@John_Carter56 , if you mean you used the "Search for SQL Server" function, that one isn't and wasn't ever very reliable; ignore it.

Simple enter the server\instance name.

@olafhelper Thanx for your reply. 

I'm using the "Which SQL Server do you want to connect to?" drop-down field on the "Create a new data source to SQL Server" window of the ODBCAD 32 and 64 applications.  I've tried using just the instance name since both instances are local.  How would I explicitly reference the "server\instance name"; as "machine name\instance name" or "local\instance name" or what?

I would use "machine name\instance name", then the DNS setting is for all machines the same.
"Local" works only on the server itself.
best response confirmed by John_Carter56 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@olafhelper Thanx!  The machine name\database instance name format worked!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by John_Carter56 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@olafhelper Thanx!  The machine name\database instance name format worked!

View solution in original post