Executing SQL trigger doesn't work if triggering events are generated by Azure Data Factory

Copper Contributor

Good day everyone,

I have an issue getting data from Azure Data Factory into SQL.  My original solution of using power automate was stymied by the combination of a mysteriously slow Stored Procedure when running it from Power Automate vs SSMS and the hard coded 2 minute timeout in flows.  So my next idea was to run the SP from a trigger whenever records are inserted into a staging table from data factory using Copy Data action. 

*The trigger works fine when adding records in SSMS

*The Data Factory pipeline successfully inserts rows into the staging table 

*After successful inserts from DF, the trigger in SQL on that staging table does not fire.

Is this a bug?  How can I work around this?  And finally, is there a better way that doesn't involve deploying more services/licenses?

Edit: To clarify what I' masking about.  Key scenario I am attempting is in bold above.  However, I have just decided to run the SP from Data Factory and pay the fees to run it.  I don't have any more time to waste trying to troubleshoot.

2 Replies
Your post is much to vague to give an answer on it.
But if you perform a BULK operation, then by default trigger don't fire, see
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/statements/bulk-insert-transact-sql?view=sql-server-ver1...
Does Data Factory use bulk inserts in the "Copy Data" activity? The inserts into the SQL staging table are done using "Copy Data" activity.