do we recover SA credential or create another user?

Copper Contributor

We are running a SQL server in 2019.I need to recover my SA credential because the third party is not sharing this information due to termination. When I attempted to recover, I found that Windows authentication for SSMS login had been permanently disabled on the server. and not connect to SQL via PowerShell. when try with powershell sqlcmd showing "Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server: Login failed for user 'HAQUETEX-SERVER\Administrator'. Reason: The account is disabled."
But in my troubleshooting, the administrator user is enabled.

We have OS administrator access So, how do we recover the SA credential or create another user?

4 Replies

@Farhan_Sadiq_Sohan , Windows and SQL Server have different permission system, by default a Windows Admin isn't a SQL Admin.

See Connect to SQL Server when system administrators are locked out - SQL Server | Microsoft Learn for how to fix.

This has already tried and error raised is
"Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server: Login failed for user 'HAQUETEX-SERVER\Administrator'. Reason: The account is disabled."
this user is enabled and you see its a member of administaor gorup.

Not sure what prevoius administator has done. Our impression is as we have access to OS level as administrator we should be able retireve our access.
If you get that error message, then you done it the wrong way. Follow all instructions in the article step-by-step; that works.
Follow all instructions. but the same error was raised.not working this solution.