Clone SQL Server db across editions

Copper Contributor

We have a process to clone SQL Server with the backup/restore features of SQL Server.  We have a project for 2017 and I was wondering whether if I use developer edition for the source and the customer uses the commercial release of 2017 will it still work?

3 Replies

@Ken_Madsen, backup/restore works nearly(!) independent of the Edition.

There are only some restriction:

- Developer Edition equals Enterprise Edition, only the licensing is different. If you use on Developer an Enterprise feature in the database, which is not supported by Standard Edition, then you can not restore a backup of that database.

- You can also restore such backup on free Express Edition, as long as the database size don't exceed the 10 GB limit.

- You can restore backup of older SQL Server version to a newer on, e.g. backup of 2012 version and restore on 2017, but not the other way, newer version on an older one.

Olaf

@olafhelper 

Thanks for the info.  I don't think our application uses any advanced SQL Server features.  we use it as a database (we can use Oracle or SQL Server based on our customer preference)

Actually, He can do it. I mean he can downgrade on Database. But it works for him useful, I don't know