SOLVED

how to upgrade sql server 2016 to 2019 on azure platform?

Copper Contributor

how to upgrade sql server 2016 to 2019 on azure platform? 

I would appreciate if I get step by step info including pre and post checkouts

Thanks.

4 Replies

@MayurS21 , with Azure Platform do you mean a virtual machine (VM) on Azure?

Then the upgrade is the same as on-premise; install the new version.

Yes, VM on Azure.
Can I perform in place upgrade same like on premise? is there any special pre or post checks need to perform as it is azure platform?
best response confirmed by MayurS21 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
There is really no differences between an on-premise server and a VM in the cloud, it's absolutly the same; where do you see any differences?

Hi @MayurS21 

Obviously @olafhelper is correct ‌‌ but!

> Can I perform in place upgrade same like on premise?

Not everything you can, you should!

For most cases, I HIGHKLY recommend NOT to upgrade an active server from one version to the other. Instead use rare opportunity to have a clean system which is best designed according to the experience you now have after years of working with the databases.

You can start with files in the right size which can improve performance over files which  where grew gradually (this mean that you can control the number of VLF for example), you can use the knowledge which you have now to better plan the configuration of the server, you can sue the history to know what is the best number of files you need for the tempdb for example, and any more...

Not every day you want to use a new version! Take advantage of the opportunity :smile:

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MayurS21 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
There is really no differences between an on-premise server and a VM in the cloud, it's absolutly the same; where do you see any differences?

View solution in original post