Critical Update for SQL Server 2016 MSVCRT Prerequisites KB3164398 – error 0x80070643

Brass Contributor

Critical Update for SQL Server 2016 MSVCRT Prerequisites KB3164398 – error 0x80070643? anyone have any ideas how this works with windows 10?

I have this problem since June!

9 Replies

Oh boy! Same here. I got this error for the longest and still having trying to load.

I even reported on a feedback to insider. But, no answer.

I did installed the missing component manually but Windows 10 still trying to do its thing.

It's a pain!

:)

Me too, for that I wrote here. I'm desperate, it's very annoying.

Hi Josep,

I don't know if you have try this already. Go the your Windows 10 Feedback Hub then search for "SQL Server 2016 MSVCRT Prerequisites KB3164398 – error 0x80070643".  It will show up for Vote.

When I voted it increased to 7 votes. 

Also, I'm trying to get the link for Windows 10 Uservoice to post this Windows Update issue.

Today I solved this. I tried to uninstall all SQL Server 2016 components, VC++ 2013 runtime, etc.. But the result was the same, the KB didn't install.

Finally, I installed the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2016 RTM Latest Cumulative Update and restart the computer. Now, I don't appears this error!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=53338

Hi Josep,

Thanks for the notice!  I will download and apply the Cummulative Update to my SQL Server.

Good day, firstly, Josep... it make no sense to have an issue several month and ask about it only now. I highly recommend you not to skip issues. It might lead to some bigger issue which mean harder to monitor and fix (in these months more and more updates and changes were made in your system) Regarding the issue, It is a known issue. As much as I understand the issue is that this update requires previous update which are includes in the Cumulative Update 1 for SQL Server 2016. installing this should solve the issue: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3164674 After installing the CU1 you should be able to install the the KB3164398 probably

I don't know what happand to my message that it is in one line...

let's try again

Good day,

firstly, Josep... it make no sense to have an issue several month and ask about it only now. I highly recommend you not to skip issues. It might lead to some bigger issue which mean harder to monitor and fix (during these months more and more updates and changes were made in your system)

Regarding the issue, It is a known issue. As much as I understand the issue is that this update requires previous update which are includes in the Cumulative Update 1 for SQL Server 2016.

installing this should solve the issue: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3164674

Restart the machine after each instalation if you can, to be more "on the safe side" of the procedure.

After installing the CU1 you should be able to install the the KB3164398 probably

Thanks R.A.  Joseph provided the link the SQL Server 2016 CU and it cleared the issue we were experiencing.  We finally for rid of the pesky error the update was giving.

Community at work!  I love it.

Thanks again,

Maximo Trinidad

Hello Ronen,

I agree with you about this, it's more time and a lot of updates applied. It has been anoying, but in this case, I tried all and when I has found the solution I has wrote about this.

I had installed the CU1 without result and all SQL individual components too.
I changed all Microsoft Visual Runtime C++. I repaired the installation with a new ISO, I did all updates and clear the Windows Update cache until now that I couldn't wait more. After I tried to uninstall and install again with the same result. The update always appeared on Windows Update and was downloaded and tried to install (aprox 1,2 GB every time).

And my last solutions has been the CU2. After its all works fine. Why? I don't know, but it has been my experience.

It's true that only occured on my laptop with Windows 10 Insider, not on servers. I pass a lot of builds with the same problem.

Best regards,