Is there anyway to turn off the mute announcement in Skype for Business?

Brass Contributor

Specifically, the announcement of "Mute Off" when you want to talk during a conference call. The volume and duration can make you miss discussion or an opportunity to insert yourself. If we want to encourage people to go on mute to avoid background noise, we ought to eliminate this announcement all together.

10 Replies

Are you using a Plantronics headset by any chance?

The "Mute Off" and Mute On" playback is a headset feature from the manufacturer. Lync / Skype client actually plays Lync_muting.wav when you mute and nothing when you unmute.

You can notice the difference i you change your audio settings to desktop speakers to hear the raw experience.

So if you have a Plantronics headset, you need the Plantronics Hub installed on the machine. Then open the hub, go to settings, general. In there you will see a mute off alert. Change the setting to Tone only and apply. Then you'll hear just a beep when coming off mute.

Right click on your "Speaker" icon in taskbar 

Then click "Sounds" 

Each sound is categorized by application, so scroll down to "Skype for Business"

Click on "Muting Tone"

Then in the "Sounds" drop down change it None or any other sound you prefer

@Khizer Haroon wrote:

Right click on your "Speaker" icon in taskbar 

Then click "Sounds" 

Each sound is categorized by application, so scroll down to "Skype for Business"

Click on "Muting Tone"

Then in the "Sounds" drop down change it None or any other sound you prefer

Perfection, thanks!

@Mark Vale wrote:

Are you using a Plantronics headset by any chance?

The "Mute Off" and Mute On" playback is a headset feature from the manufacturer. Lync / Skype client actually plays Lync_muting.wav when you mute and nothing when you unmute.

You can notice the difference i you change your audio settings to desktop speakers to hear the raw experience.

So if you have a Plantronics headset, you need the Plantronics Hub installed on the machine. Then open the hub, go to settings, general. In there you will see a mute off alert. Change the setting to Tone only and apply. Then you'll hear just a beep when coming off mute.

The original poster probably does have a Plantronics headset, and I can confirm that markvale83's suggestion is correct - the "official" solution had no effect.

After opening the Plantronics Hub app, make sure that your headset and not the Bluetooth dongle (BT600, for example) is selected in the "Device" dropdown in the upper-left corner of the window.

Changing the language required unplugging the Bluetooth dongle, docking the headset and then accepting a firmware update. Once you accept the firmware update, do NOT remove the headset until it is finished (exit out of Skype so that you're not tempted to answer a call!)

If you are like me and came to this thread looking for a way to turn off the tone in Skype for business on Android, go to the settings in Android, apps, Skype for business, and you can change that tone or turn it off completely.

@Mark Vale Thanks for this, although I know posted a while ago, I just wanted to express my own annoyance at this ridiculous setting for this headset - as per OP, the notification actually covers other speakers. My advice to plantronics is to remove this as the default setting as it's very silly! 

@Allison Rizak 

you can disable the female audio mute on/off message. To do this you must first download and install the Plantronics Hub PC software (or the PLT Manager Pro for enterprises) – Download here: http://www.plantronics.com/us/support/enterprise-software/#downloads

source : https://blog.valeconsulting.co.uk/2017/02/10/skype-for-business-conference-and-mute-off-with-plantro...

Unfortunately, this applies to some Plantronics models only ... my C720 e.g. keeps chatty :(

@Rick-Anthony 

this worked like a charm...thank you